Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #8885 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
I haven't seen The Fountain, so I can't comment on that, but I'll probably see it soon. Actually I've only seen Requiem and Pi, so my impression of Aronofsky as literal comes from these two. It didn't bother me in Requiem, I thought that was pretty effective for showing the horrors of drug addiction. But, here, in Pi everything felt so transparent and fake, the way these big philosophical themes were handled, the decent into madness. So it's quite possible to take such a broad subject that just gives itself for many interpretations and turn it into something very transparent and literal by the way it's handled. I am now very curious to see how he does it in The Fountain. After all, Pi was his first film and it very much feels like a student film lacking in experience on every level.
I have a feeling that you may detest The Fountain as it's a very oblique film with the overall theme of the film being one of heightened romanticism without being overly sentimental. I personally think it is stunning but then I do have a soft side!

If a film fails to deliver on certain aspects plot wise then I try to look for other facets of the film, such as cinematography, sound design, lighting, use of lenses etc (yes I am that sad) and most fail but I always appreciate effort and can spot a directors genuine attempt to try for something different and Aronofsky is definitely one of those directors who stretches himself with each film whether it works or not and I appreciate this side of film making.

I have never got around to seeing Pi so can't comment on that film but I do think that Aronofsky is one of the more interesting directors working in Hollywood. To make such a beautifully intimate film like The Wrestler and make a much derided 'sport' interesting took some balls on his part.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote