Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient and Drone.
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

i don't think any of these would every be considered indie anything and most certainly not pop.....but mind blowing and long and defiantly drone....a little mix....many of these example are excerpts.....most of these bands don't make tracks shorter than 20 minutes....but i figured i'd spoiler some examples for you....if you like tham but cannot find them just let me know....and i'll get a copy to you

enjoy

Pelt....was a band from the late 90's through most of the 2000's...basically it's cerebral drone music created by tradition bluegrass musicians....one of which passed a couple of years back....i strongly suggest the albums Empty Bell Ringing In The Sky, Alyahuasca and Técheöd
Spoiler for Pelt:

Dead Voices On Air is a electronic drone/ambient act which consists sole of Mark Spyby, who has also performed under that name as well as Propeller, and has many collaborations with big names such as Mick Harris and cEvin Key's Download....his tracks can create pictures of nightmarish landscapes while at the same time blanketing you and making you feel safe....check out New Words Machine, Haufted Maul, and How Hollow Heart...
Spoiler for Dead Voices On Air:

Zoviet France has well over 20 albums under their belts...but i think the best thing they ever did was 1983s Mohnomishe....the album consists of 8 untitled and interweaving and quite maddening at times tracks ranging form 4 to 14 minutes in length.....great for dark nights in dark rooms....very revolving in the sound
Spoiler for Zoviet France:

All Hail The Transcending Ghost is a collaboration between the sole member of Swedish power electronic pioneers Folkstorm and the drummer from the doom/sludge metal troop Switchblade....this is much less harsh than the ear piercing sounds of Folkstorm and often underneath the despondent drone and whispering there is a an urgent drum beat....they've released only one self titled album....and this is some very dark stuff....but well worth checking out
Spoiler for All Hail The Transcending Ghost:

Nadja hails from Toronto, Canada and is a two piece drone/doom metal band.....their music in my opinion is liquid and amazing.....great for when you lie down for bed....although it is very powerful it is also very soothing and very very mind melting.....it's also nice that they add a sort of "shoegaze"
warmth to their sound....another great thing about them is they seem to be releasing up to three albums a year ....check out Radiance Of Shadows, Under The Jaguar Sun, and Autopergamene
Spoiler for Nadja:

Boris & Merzbow is a match made in heaven.....combining beautiful ambient rock with the structured noise of Merzbow....at time this can be a bit jarring....but very much in a good way....check out Rock Dream (Especially the opening 32 minute epic Feedbacker)
Spoiler for Boris & Merzbow:

Corrupted is an amazing funeral doom/drone band from Japan....much more on the "metal" side of things but very much still drone...this paticual track weighs in at about 41 minutes and is simply unrelenting slow guitar soaked drone....check out Paso inferior
Spoiler for Corrupted:

Wicked King Wicker is more on the "wall of noise" side of drone...but i actually feel that they produce really good noise music.....it's not quite as jarring as bands like Sutcliffe Jügend or Whitehouse....but after about 20 minutes your chest will start to tighten and your breathing may get shallow.....very good stuff but i think you defiantly have to be in that mood....check out 2009s God Is Busy.....Save Yourself
Spoiler for Wicked King Wicker:

MZ.412 is a little hard to really but a label on....there are so many different influence here....everything from power electronics to black metal can somewhat be felt in their music....."mind numbing" will defiantly come to mind as well as hypnotic....very dark ambient and yet pleasurable....look into Infernal Affairs, Burning The Temple Of God and Nordic Battle Signs
Spoiler for MZ.412:

Coil...i could go on for days about how great Coil is....they were all over the place....but in particular to what it sounds l;ike you want you must hear the album Time Machines....it consists of four songs each around 15 minutes and each named for the chemical properties of various hard psychedelics (my example is DMT).....their idea was to create drone sounds which would trick the brain into thinking that these chemicals were present....i'm sure these chemicals were involved in the creation of the music
Spoiler for Coil:

sorry for the long post
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote