Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid musical statements that you can't fathom
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #209 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I know plenty of people who listen to very little rock music, let alone rock music from 30/40 years ago.

Doesn't make them stupid, just means they have no interest in rock music.
This is actually a valid point. I was thinking about just recently when I spotted someone in a George Harrison t-shirt and made a remark about The Beatles to a friend (not a close friend). I mentioned Harrison himself to clarify, but he still didn't know what I meant and I had to point it out that he was one of The Beatles, which he obviously didn't know.

At first I thought this was an obvious example of a 'stupid musical statement' but it occured to me that he simply isn't interested in music at all. Well, he listens occasionally, as most people do, but he doesn't indulge in it like we nerds do. Of course it's understandable to not having heard of the biggest bands in history if you haven't exposed yourself to sources from where such information may come, and even if you have, that's no guarantee that it will stuck if you're not interested. I, for one have no clue of what's playing on the hit radio stations today.

So I'd say that a truly stupid musical statement is more like those kind of remarks that come from people who claim to have some actual knowledge about music but turn out not to. Like narrow-minded people who always have opinions about musical genres they don't care for themselves (and thus don't have much knowledge about).