Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #187 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Like everyone else, I guess, I was pretty thrown be the first track. I actually liked it but it sounds absolutely nothing like the rest of the album so when I first heard it I was confused as to why you described this as a dub album. Once I got to the subsequent tracks I understood though. My first listen to the album was on my headphones, sick as a dog, walking to the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions, my head feeling like it was encased in layers of gauze. Even though I was feeling like crap, it was a perfect condition to be in for these songs—slightly out of it, feeling like I was drifting through the world. I like this album a lot, and though I think it's more of a grower than an album that immediately jumps out at you, I'm sure sure I'll be putting it on when I'm feeling mellow for a long time to come.
Yeah, I listened to this album again this morning after not hearing it for a while. I'd forgotten how different that first track was, and yes, it's definitely not very indicative of how the rest of the album sounds. I'm glad you, as well as rezz and sidewinder, stuck with it though, and ended up digging it. "Grower" isn't a bad thing in my book.

My favorite track on Admit One is "African Cherry". Something about it always makes me picture a hunter or a stalker creeping from tree to tree in a forest as they follow their prey. Then about halfway thru the song, the two come face to face in a clearing and circle each other, trying to decide what their next move will be. As the tension builds, they move closer and closer to each other, eying each other cautiously, and then...the prey scurries away, home free.