Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2603 (permalink)
Songbirds
Groupie

Default Need new music... Anyone got any suggestions?!

Hello, I'm new and this is my first post, so sorry if I'm breaking any rules LOL I did read the rules but yeah...

Anyway, I'm kinda getting bored of the same old same old and thought I should update my iTunes but I really can't find any artists that does it for me...

I like jazz, the proper 30's/40's type, ska, classical, r&b and some of course modern stuff.

The thing that matters most to me in music is the lyrics, they have to be touching, witty and cleverly thought out. Secondly comes the vocals, I can't stand crap vocals and they have to sound original. And then comes the arrangement of the music itself of course. I like something to sound original and it has to be soulful otherwise it does nothing for me. I really love piano songs that make you shiver, and strong emotional vocals preferably female.

Some singers/bands I like (In order of preference):

Amy Winehouse
Billie Holiday
Dinah Washington
Sarah Vaughan
The Crystals
Corinne Bailey Rae
The Cinematic Orchestra
Duffy
Donny Hathaway
Nina Simone
Beyonce

There are more obviously but I'm not gonna bore you with lists upon lists of artists

So yeah I hope that's enough background for you to tell if I'd like anyone you would like.

I'm looking mainly for an Amy Winehouse type, jazz/ska/soul. Or classical piano/acoustic stuff.

Any suggestions?

But please no pop stuff like ke$ha and what not, I hear enough about them on the TV already :')
Songbirds is offline   Reply With Quote