Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #2627 (permalink)
sportsdude2060
Groupie

Default Looking for similar songs

Hey, everyone, first post, and it's a doozie.

A friend of mine recently told me that he dislikes 70's music, 80's music, and anything similar those genres because, as he put it, "the style is outdated, and I only listen to original music."

I immediately countered with something along the lines of, "It's more than possible to produce original music in an unoriginal genre. Plus, since all styles have already been done, all songs would be outdated by your logic." To try to illustrate his point, he gave me a cd with music he considers to be original.

Of course, most of the songs on the cd definitely didn't have some new, innovative style; in fact, several actually sounded like the 70's/80's hits he claimed to hate. To prove it to him, my plan was to give him a cd with popular music that sounds as close as possible to his songs. However, since my knowledge of music is fairly limited, I'm having a hard time thinking up individual matches -- one of those "it sounds familiar, but I can't place it" kind of things. Now, I'm not saying I think anything on his cd is bad; actually, I love most of it. I just wouldn't say it's completely original.

Here's the list:
Rhinestone Eyes -- Gorillaz
Sprawl II -- Arcade Fire (sounds a lot like blondie's Heart of Glass to me)
Wagon Wheel -- Old Crow Medicine Show (need a good country song)
New Slang -- The Shins (reminds me of Western Music)
Home -- Edward Sharpe
Underdog -- Kasabian
Requiem for O.M.M. 2 -- Of Montreal (sounds a lot like the Beatles)
The Resolution -- Magdalena
Festival -- Sigur Ros
Swing Tree -- Discovery (could have sworn I heard a rap song with the same beat)
Writer's Block -- Just Jack
Psychic Chasms -- Neon Indian (actually, I found out that this one is a remake of the 80's song "Come on Closer" by Pineapples; score one)
You Were the Last High -- The Dandy Warhols
Get the Money -- Panty Raid
Seeds -- Tea Leaf Green
Svart Ar Himlen -- Dungon

So what do you think? Can all of you help me find some popular/80's songs which closely resemble all of those?

Thanks in advance.
sportsdude2060 is offline   Reply With Quote