Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid musical statements that you can't fathom
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #226 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
You seriously think that's why people say that?

Oh, and he did have long fingers...
yeah that's exactly why i think that line perpetuates itself. the musical contemporaries of Hendrix's day had to come up with some justification for being an order of magnitude behind Jimi and most people never really bothered to look into it further.

if you actually learned how to play his music you'd notice that he used very traditional chord shapes as the base for most of his songs. the ONE thing he did differently than most was using his thumb to fret the low E which in turn freed up dexterity in his fingers to allow more embellishments and accents to his rhythm playing. that's less about hand size and more about 'improper' form and endless practice.

it's not like he was pulling 9 fret stretches or anything. the widest stretches on any Hendrix tune are no wider than any 12 bar blues.

the man was not a mutant he did not have giant hands. what he did do was never ever stop playing his instrument - he took his guitar to bed FIRST and women SECOND. that's why he played the way he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote