Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think the first sentence in your post is a very big assumption. As I said before, for some people variety itself is a defining characteristic of their taste. So, to use the person in your example, what if his answer to the second question was "emotional intensity". If he only says he like hardcore you'e going to read "emotional intensity" as "anger" or something similar, while if he says he likes hardcore and classical you're going to understand that when he says "emotional intensity" he means something much more complex, involving a range of strong emotions. As a result, I think the explanatory power actually increases when people answer the first question with an honest assessment of what they listen to instead of attempting to pare it down to a couple genres.
The way I see it, if someone likes variety, then I am asking them what part of the spectrum of that variety do they like the most. If they like something out of all possible genres and really appreciate everything there is to appreciate about music, then I expect that there will still be something they like the most. I'm after that most. If that takes a lot of soul searching to figure out, that's fine.