Music Banter - View Single Post - Bruno Mars...
Thread: Bruno Mars...
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
hmmm what do you consider significant?

Supernatural/Santana
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below/OutKast , I would rather have had them win a grammy for Stankonia though than this one.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill/Lauryn Hill
Jagged Little Pill/Alanis Morissette
No Jacket Required/Phil Collins
Toto IV/Toto
52nd Street/Billy Joel
Come Dance with Me!/Frank Sinatra
Bridge over Troubled Water/Simon & Garfunkel

you don't think all of those albums deserved it? there are winners also that deserved it but I didn't feel like posting the whole list
Not particularly. I mean ones like "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack are interesting... but seriously, are these significant achievements? I'll give say "A Bridge over Troubled Water" a nod, as well as a few others. However, even among these be good albums or not, they aren't the kind that are recognized for years, and years to come.

Ever notice a hard rock, jazz, blues, or any genre like that winning the 'album of the year'? No Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, etc. There is an obvious bias for vocal/studio based music over instrumental music(which sort of pigeonholes them in lesser categories). IE. Grammies is more for the producers than it is for the musicians themselves.

Besides there's a lot of crap ones that won. Especially later on there's ones that seem like they're picked simply for name value: "Unplugged - Eric Clapton", "Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss", etc.

Besides, why are all the Ray Charles, Robert Plant, Bob Dylan, U2, etc. winning post 1990s well past their primes? Feels like a lot of "Yeah, we didn't get around to you the first time so we're going to undercut everything new and interesting to give you a reward now" going on.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote