Music Banter - View Single Post - Are Indie People Hippies?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Nobody walks into a room and declares "EFF YEaH im InDiE!!!"
it's a fashion choice, it's a taste in specific music, it's an aesthetic that people go by. They aren't nessicarily even politcal. They don't have to reject established society.

Comparing every cultural movement to "hippies" makes you sound like you're 68 years old.
I'd disagree.

They may not be overtly political, but by their own ethos you could surmise their position on political issues. That may seem too distant, but the Christian Right had no overt political positions once upon a time. Its a value system that they have and it would likely be small-government.

As for establish society, I think they reject the value system of established society. They don't like bands often times beyond seemingly arbitrary points because of what they perceive as an aesthetic position.

They could easily be issue voters. And every sub-culture movement is going to have anti-establishment views, thats why they have a different fashion/music/ethos to them. They think its correct. And if they shared the values of the mainstream, we likely wouldn't have a name for them.