Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #2506 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I agree the Bikini Kill singer's voice sounds pure. She emotes well. You can feel her aggression. Yes, I think you are right about her sounding frustrated in the song. I should have used that word, frustration.

The repetitive structure definitely makes the song sound like much punk music to me. Maybe I just diss it a bit because it sounds *easy* and I want more complexity. Or maybe I'm envious because I don't do "raw, sloppy anger" well or easily.

About my not-so-good critique of her voice: I suppose I fight with my internal programming (due to external programmers) that makes me tend to value "prettiness" even as I'm seething with deep hostilities and sadnesses inside and wanting very much to express the opposite of prettiness. I *like* that she isn't trying to sound "pretty" even as the unprettiness of her voice makes me think: "Not pretty." It's my issue. I'm getting over it, Tumor.

I like you. I just felt like saying that.
Its your opinion about the music bro, not about me. lol. no 'fense taken.
You like vocalists that can actually sing in the classical sense of the word. I'm in the minority but I really don't. I can only think of a couple artists that I listen to that can really sing....I like the screamers, the talk-singers, and the chronically offkey. Its not an issue that you don't, its your personal preference.
If you like the message of the song but don't like the way it sounds....I dunno, do you still listen to it? I wouldn't. No fault of yours if the way the punk genre sounds or Kathleen Hanna's vocal articulation isn't appealing to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote