Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Musical Stages of Life
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

Age four: Whatever dad was listening to
And that included his Fatboy Slim CDs. I would force him to put them on because I thought they were the best. I didn't really have a musical taste apart from that, i guess. I kind of remember liking that Barbie Girl song.

Age five: Dayvan discovers Pink Floyd
I got tired of Fatboy slim after a while and decided to see what else dad was listening to. At the time he was listening to Pink Floyd and /i was suddenly obsessed with them. My favourite album was Animals and I always sat down with my gameboy and my DSOTM tshirt listening to Sheep on repeat.

Age Six: Dayvan finds her cousin's happy hardcore CD
This was a bad period of my musical life. I actually like happy hardcore. I'd rather not talk about this because I'm too embarrassed. I stopped listening to pink floyd and picked up Children Of The Night instead :/

Age seven: Dayvan's dad moves to alberta, turns towards mom for music
That's also the year that Hot Hot Heat's song Bandages was all over MuchMusic and the radios. I was OBSESSED with that song. I used to sing it really off-key with mom because she knew that I really liked Hot Hot Heat. I also liked the Walkmen and The White Stripes, and used to beg mom to play We've Been Had for me.

Age Eight: Dayvan discovers Tegan And Sara
This is when I started to formulate my own taste in music. I listened to Tegan and Sara and I started to formulate my own taste in music, but I still clung to the rock bands my mom listened to in the past.

Age Ten: Dayvan Tries to fit in
Now, I started to be uncool at the age of ten. I started to lose interest in tegan and sara and started liking whatever was on the radio. and halfway through this phase, I just stopped caring and moved on, and started liking the music I liked when I was eight again.

Age Eleven: Dayvan discovers BOC and Battles
I was surfing around on youtube one day, and I noticed that there was this almost magical song playing in the background of some guy talking about video games or something. It was full of twinkly guitars and sharp drum machines and I instantly fell in love with it. I soon found out that the song was called Dayvan Cowboy and it was by Boards Of Canada and I began searching for more of their albums. Once I wasted half of the year drooling over them, I decided to check out the people on their label. Well, Battles just released an album and the amount of hype that was going on made me want to check it out. When I heard it, I didn't like it. It was atonal, it was weird, and it wasn't conventional. I put it down for about a month and then I decided to try it again. I gave it a listen, and I finally got it. They had this technical, complicated and unusual sound that intrigued me, and I kept going deeper into it and I thought it was the best thing since sliced cheese!

Age 12 or 13 or something: Dayvan checks out Animal Collective
I was listening to CBC Radio One and they were going on about the best albums of 2010. I turned it on and I heard Animal Collective's song "Summertime Clothes" and instantly fell in love with it. I started exploring more "best of '09' albums and I found out about **** Buttons. Their album Tarot Sport blew me away, and I kept exploring more and more music

Age 13 (pt. 2): Dayvan lets go of her indie rawk past and finds new artists.
This is when I stopped caring about Hot Hot Heat and Tegan and Sara and moved on. I was looking forward to discovering new artists and in order to do that, I needed to let go of the past.

Age 14 (present): Dayvan steps out of her comfort zone
I'm listening to music that eleven year old me could never appreciate. I evolved musically in a manner that was fortunate, and I can now tolerate louder, more complex, more abrasive music. So, I'm lucky that evolved that way instead of giving in and listening to The Stills or something.

that is the end.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote