Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unbearable Idiocy of Pop Music Elitism
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #104 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
I don't think I missed the point. I don't think you're reading between the lines with mine.

My point was time =/= effort. The effort was there, it just wasn't spent entirely in production. Where as Britney Spears is somebody who can casually go to the studio for a few hours here, and there, and have a pop album by the end of the year. The rest of the time she can be spent doing **** all. It's why people like Britney Spears have somewhat limited repertoire on what she can do.

Sure, Zorn may bring somebody like Fred Frith in studio, and hammer out a studio record in one 1 hour take, but that doesn't stop the fact that they're both probably working on three or four projects simultaneously, and neither does it mean that it isn't the culmination of effort put into developing themselves as musicians. Which they are both breaching heavy inspiration from.

The fact they CAN produce that quality of work the way they do comes from the fact they spent the effort developing themselves as musicians. Ask Britney Spears to come into the studio for an hour, and produce something, she'd most likely be completely lost. Where as, Ask her to compose a massive conceptual album, she'd be lost as well. Because, she obviously spends less effort developing herself as a musician.
Here's the thing though: I think you're wrong about how much effort goes into a Britney Spears album. For one thing, something like that is undoubtedly a massive team effort involving very highly trained session musicians, producers, engineers, etc. And when it comes to Britney Spears herself, I have no doubt that she has spent vast amounts of time developing her singing voice and probably spends massive amounts of time in the studio getting the absolutely perfect end product. And yet, nevertheless, at the end of the day her albums still suck.

The point is a ton of effort doesn't make something great, and a lesser amount of effort doesn't make something bad.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote