Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #75 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I (being a woman) have no problem with feminism in and of itself. I think it should be fairly obvious that women deserve equality in terms of work, societal and political respect, and the like.

With that said, there's a great deal of the mindset of many "feminists" I've encountered which seems quite appalling to say the least.

There are a lot of wonderful organizations striving to secure equal rights for women, and their mission statements clearly state that it is for equal rights. I have, however, in my travels encountered many a radical feminist. The way in which they describe what feminism is all about has little if nothing to do with equal rights and everything to do with their conviction that women are superior to men in every way.

Many of these so-called feminists will attribute all of the problems currently going on in the world to men, claiming that if women were totally in charge and men were to adopt the more submissive role generally perceived as feminine, that the world would be a far better place. This seems to me to be both unrealistic and somewhat ignorant; human error, pride, and all manner of other purportedly negative things contributing in part to the state of the world is not exclusive to men. Women aren't perfect, and men aren't perfect. It has everything to do with individuals, regardless of gender.

I understand that this probably seems to be rambling on a bit, but my point is that feminism should legitimately be about equality. The reason a lot of people have given me for their opposition to the feminist movements is due in no small part to the radical feminists whose agenda seems to be the eradication of men and not equal rights.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote