Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #455 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

ok so here are 3 out of the seven i have on my plate to review

from James:

Ścianka - Dni Wiatru

very interesting album....it starts off with waves of dark ambience and then sprints into very experimental rock and then returns to what seems to me to be a noisy psychotic rant (not knowing any Polish.....but his voice is very passionate and fierce)....i can honestly say that i've never heard anything quite like this...the opening song has this odd sense of feeling like the woman in 'Silence of the Lambs' clawing away at the walls of her entrapment as Buffalo Bill screams at her to put the lotion in the fucking basket....and at the same time it is warm and inviting....honestly i feel all the songs accomplish this sort of duel feel....amazing album James....thanks

from Violent & Funky:

Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart

although i've heard this album many times before it was suggested....i have to admit that for the most part my Jawbox phase is over and i have not really sat down and listened to them in well over five years....so this was almost new as my ears are a bit different these days

this album being their major label debut but still really packing a punch....by far 'Savory' is one of the greatest songs ever written for this type of music at least and 'Motorist' is up there also....the opening rack of this album is very reminiscent of Jawbox's frist two releases....kind or raw and very melodic yet completely in your face....like a cute kitten screaming at you...you just can't help but smile and say "awwww".....this continues throughout the entire album with one difference....there are some real wonderful hints as to what will become of these players.....this as much an abrasive take on Burning Airlines as it is an evolution of Jawbox....still an amazing album after so many years.....thanks Violent & Funky for rekindling an old love affair

from dankrsta:

Gastr Del Sol - The Serpentine Similar

so i started listening to this this morning with only your words to guide what i might think of it....my first thought about four minutes into the first track was post rock huh?....seems more like post math rock and why does it remind me of Bastro?....well same lead player....as both Bastro and Squirrel Bait....so again you've made me wonder "where the fuck have i been?! "....so we have David Grubbs and Jim O'Rourke! on the same album....this just reeks meticulous perfection....this album resembles so much of what i already really enjoy and yet sounds like nothing that i really have....the entire album is as complex as it is soothing and has wonderful hints of the roots of the musicians previous works....great album that requires numerous listens
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote