Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #24801 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
This makes no sense if you know the first thing about Anglophones vs Francophones in Montreal but knock yourself out with this "material analysis"
I'm going by your analysis, bud, but if they're not poor then I guess they don't need to learn French to get a decent job. They still need to if they want to read some Frenchie writer, cause learning a whole 'nother language for the sake of casual reading is a reasonable expectation to have.

Effete university intellectual is absolutely accurate though. Little tip if you don't want to out yourself as an undercover alien preparing the way for an invasion: don't use "parochial" while looking down on us ignorant humans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #24802 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
I have to be honest, I don't speak French but whenever I watch a movie in Quebecois French, it hurts my ears. Sounds like some kind of bastardized peasant version of French. I imagine the French are not very happy with how that turned out. :/
Yeah it's very rarely singled out for its beauty and the peasant bit is not wrong... Though the irony is that its sounds are actually closer to French as it was spoken in certain regions of France in the 17th century compared to the Parisian French of today, which is the more recent evolution. Colonies are always more linguistically conservative than the metropolis, so if you want to hear some of the vowels that were part of various regional dialects in earlier French and have since disappeared in standard French, Canada is where you want to go (certain parts of New Brunswick too: Acadian French has some things in common with the French of Rabelais).

The vocabulary is of course way Americanized (despite inordinate pride in not saying le parking and le weekend like the French do) and you have varieties of both Quebecois and Acadian French that have been derided as bastardizations by speakers of both dialects.
jadis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:43 AM   #24803 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm going by your analysis, bud, but if they're not poor then I guess they don't need to learn French to get a decent job. They still need to if they want to read some Frenchie writer, cause learning a whole 'nother language for the sake of casual reading is a reasonable expectation to have.

Effete university intellectual is absolutely accurate though. Little tip if you don't want to out yourself as an undercover alien preparing the way for an invasion: don't use "parochial" while looking down on us ignorant humans.
You're just butthurt because you're an ignorant American who doesn't speak a second language.
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #24804 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Yeah it's very rarely singled out for its beauty and the peasant bit is not wrong... Though the irony is that its sounds are actually closer to French as it was spoken in certain regions of France in the 17th century compared to the Parisian French of today, which is the more recent evolution. Colonies are always more linguistically conservative than the metropolis, so if you want to hear some of the vowels that were part of various regional dialects in earlier French and have since disappeared in standard French, Canada is where you want to go (certain parts of New Brunswick too: Acadian French has some things in common with the French of Rabelais).

The vocabulary is of course way Americanized (despite inordinate pride in not saying le parking and le weekend like the French do) and you have varieties of both Quebecois and Acadian French that have been derided as bastardizations by speakers of both dialects.
Interesting, something similar happened with Spanish and Portuguese. Although Brazilian Portuguese is one of the rare examples where the colonial version is actually significantly more beautiful than the original.
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #24805 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
You're just butthurt because you're an ignorant American who doesn't speak a second language.
You're just butthurt you had to learn English cause we own your bitchass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #24806 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,822
Default

I'm not butthurt at all, I love English and languages in general and was lucky enough to live in a small and insignificant country where everything is subtitled which helped a lot in learning a few...
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #24807 (permalink)
Certified H00d Classic
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bernie Sanders's yacht
Posts: 6,118
Default

Vice Media - Hackers Apologize to Arab Royal Families for Leaking Their Data

Quote:
Allan Liska, a researcher at cybersecurity firm Recorded Future who tracks ransomware, said that the hackers must have gotten scared of potential retaliation from the Arab states.

“Bluntly, UAE sends assassination teams to deal with people they don’t like. The US and UK don’t do that (any more). Even ransomware groups are subject to political pressure. My guess is that they had a conversation with someone in the Kremlin who told that this was a bad idea and so they removed the data,” Liska told Motherboard in an online chat. “This is their way of covering it up.”
Lolwut
__________________
Anteater's 21 Fav Albums Of 2020

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #24808 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm going by your analysis
All you did is make guesses and form assumptions about a reality you know nothing about based on a post containing brief references to said reality (“analysis”). I would suggest trying to suspend your judgment more often because that’s how you learn new things as opposed to projecting your preconceptions on everything, but tbh it’s hard to do this in a conversation with someone you dislike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Interesting, something similar happened with Spanish and Portuguese. Although Brazilian Portuguese is one of the rare examples where the colonial version is actually significantly more beautiful than the original.
I love listening to their football commentators. The player everyone knows as Ronaldinho for them is Hooonalzheeeeenio
jadis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #24809 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
All you did is make guesses and form assumptions about a reality you know nothing about based on a post containing brief references to said reality (“analysis”). I would suggest trying to suspend your judgment more often because that’s how you learn new things as opposed to projecting your preconceptions on everything, but tbh it’s hard to do this in a conversation with someone you dislike.
Well when you call a group "parochial" and impugn their job prospects how is one supposed to interpret that?

And I don't know you well enough to dislike you. Right now you're just a digital windmill to tilt at.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #24810 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well when you call a group "parochial" and impugn their job prospects how is one supposed to interpret that?
Maybe the following analogy would be helpful:

Imagine if you will that there was a majority-Hispanophone US state (let's say on the Mexican border) and in it you had enclaves of Anglophones who were too proud of their historical status as the dominant group to deign to learn Spanish. Things have definitely changed since they were fully in control of the financial and education sectors and the Hispanophones were downtrodden factory workers whose education system was ran by the Catholic church. Many Anglophones are still very gainfully employed in private firms in the financial sector, but cushy government jobs are no longer accessible to them after a law was passed that you need to show a level of proficiency in Spanish to work there. There are fewer and fewer schools where their children can study in English and you need to jump through hoops to get in.

Now the state authorities are going out of their way to encourage the Anglophone minority to learn Spanish. Language courses are free and you get welfare while you're taking them. And of course there's the added bonus: culture. If you know Spanish you gain access to a world of cultural riches, to one of the world's most widely spoken languages.

And yet there's still a significant proportion of Anglophones who refuse to learn it because they have an idea of "heritage" that includes being superior to those who speak Spanish.

Of course there are many nuances I've conveniently left out, but the people I described as "parochial" share certain traits with those in the deep south who fly the confederate flag today. Their idea of the supremacy of anglo protestantism is very stupid and exclusionary.
jadis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.