Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: ?
Pro-Choice? 66 84.62%
Pro-Life 7 8.97%
Prefer Not To Choose 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #111 (permalink)
I sleep in your hat
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Posts: 1,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Well, other people in the world would feel the same if they had to choose between their friend, father, mother, partner, spouse, whatever or the embryo of some woman who wants to have an abortion.
So what is your stance on the abortion of a foetus that you have a genetic stake in? Do your arguments still apply if you are considering a partner rather than 'some woman'.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #112 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

I'd sacrifice my dad to get an abortion, I'm not gonna lie
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #113 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I do think it's a little more than messed up that someone can abort at 24 weeks for any reason they wish, but honestly, I'm more concerned with getting the appropriate preventative and contraceptive measures in place and freely available so that there's less of a need for such lengths in the first place, regardless of reason.
Agreed. I'm all for making your own decisions, but I still get bothered by the fact that there's people out there who would take such matters so flippantly. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my sister's friend (or, perhaps ex-friend) is a good example.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #114 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Agreed. I'm all for making your own decisions, but I still get bothered by the fact that there's people out there who would take such matters so flippantly. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my sister's friend (or, perhaps ex-friend) is a good example.
Those type of people are in the minority though and are pretty rare cases imo.

Most women that have abortions find it emotionally draining similar to having a miscarriage. It's not something they would do lightly and frequently.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #115 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Those type of people are in the minority though and are pretty rare cases imo.

Most women that have abortions find it emotionally draining similar to having a miscarriage. It's not something they would do lightly and frequently.
Oh I know. I didn't mean to insinuate that they were a majority or anything. Just saying I wish those people that act that way cared more about their decisions and really think them through. And not just about abortion, but maybe even more so with people who go through with their pregnancy. Like if they fully intend on having a baby, that they eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, etc.

Actually, I wish a lot of people cared more. Not just about abortion, but in general. About everything.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #116 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Oh I know. I didn't mean to insinuate that they were a majority or anything. Just saying I wish those people that act that way cared more about their decisions and really think them through. And not just about abortion, but maybe even more so with people who go through with their pregnancy. Like if they fully intend on having a baby, that they eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, etc.

Actually, I wish a lot of people cared more. Not just about abortion, but in general. About everything.
So educate people about the problem
making light of them doesn't solve ****
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #117 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
So educate people about the problem
making light of them doesn't solve ****
I would if I had a big enough voice. I have zero authority. Listen to me, I am from the Beers clan of Pennsylvania.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #118 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Actually, what I proposed is that when deciding whose interests you should protect, the fetus or the mothers, you should protect the interests of the mother because she is the one most capable of being affected by the decision (she is the one who potentially suffers the most for it). In other words, the mother should get to choose. I added that basing a decision on what the fetus could become is basing a decision on an assumption, something I think of as a weakness.

So, it's a utilitarian sort of idea, but it is also good for non-utilitarian reasons. It has good consequences which further validates it. I believe mothers, members of our society, will appreciate the freedom to make the decision and I believe it will lead to slightly happier, healthier families. It is good for society. So unlike you I actually do think it makes sense, even if utilitarianism isn't flawless in every instance. If you still disagree with that, then that's fine with me.
...which is based on the premise that suffering is the reason killing is wrong. Otherwise it is irrelevant who potentially suffers the most. So I was giving examples of why I don't think that adds up as an explanation for why we find killing human beings to be wrong. I never said the practical reasons for supporting abortion don't make any sense.

Although, the interests of the mother vs interests of the fetus point brings up the question of justice. You say that morally we should always value the one that has the ability to suffer more/cause more suffering by proxy, but what about when one party is innocent and the other is directly responsible for the predicament? Would that principle extend to situations that involves weighing the interests of 2 adult humans, regardless of innocence or guilt?
Quote:
Actually, if people fundamentally value a human life, they will suffer more when a human life is taken. Imagine a chicken getting killed and a human getting killed. Both suffer equally. But the death of the human likely causes more suffering in others and so the death of the human is worse. For the death of a chicken to be as bad as the death of a human, you have to get a little creative.
There's nothing that could make the death of a chicken worse than the death of an innocent human, in most people's eyes. No matter how you tilt the suffering scale in the chicken's favor. That's because people generally value human life beyond its ability to suffer.

edit - If you're saying that people value human life more because it has the capacity to cause more suffering in others, then that seems to me to be circular reasoning.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis

Last edited by John Wilkes Booth; 07-24-2013 at 12:49 AM.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #119 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Again, I'm not anti-abortion/pro-life. I do think it's a little more than messed up that someone can abort at 24 weeks for any reason they wish, but honestly, I'm more concerned with getting the appropriate preventative and contraceptive measures in place and freely available so that there's less of a need for such lengths in the first place, regardless of reason.
Agreed, like I said earlier my older sister was premature, born at around 24-26 weeks so that's very messed up to me... not that I'm pro-life or anything but it does bother me.
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #120 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
I would if I had a big enough voice. I have zero authority. Listen to me, I am from the Beers clan of Pennsylvania.
Totally not true! You'd be surprised how easy it is to educate people on such things, especially with social media. If you care about it, talk about it. You might not make huge changes but you'd be surprised how many people you can reach, and those people pass it on, etc. You don't have to go to protests and **** to be an activist either, people who think Internet activism is not activism are idiots.

We live in an age where you can tweet your congressman, so no excuses!!!
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.