Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #81 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: my home is in my head
Posts: 253
Default

Music Is The Breath Of God
THE GOLDEN STRING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #82 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE GOLDEN STRING
Music Is The Breath Of God
Good music is anyway.


Bad music is the flatulence of Satan.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 AM   #83 (permalink)
dog
this bird has flown
 
dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: paris,texas
Posts: 860
Default

i think music has gotten worse, not all bands today are garbage, but there is alotta crap out there, and there always has been, even in the late 60s, there were awful bands. i think theres more lesser bands now than there were before.
__________________
formerly ledzeppelinrulz.

http://theraffinkids.bandcamp.com/

music^
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:01 AM   #84 (permalink)
Honky
 
franscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimepartner
ok so what do you consider more mainstreem in music then mtv? Iam not supporting mtv in any way, but I mean its such a huge part of publicity for musicians how can it not have effects on making bands mainstreem?

the radio can have an effect but It doesn't give the image or the trends. when you say the state of music you mean ROCK, or music as a whole, because as rock is my point
MTV is a pop channel playing pop records. They are interested in profits, and in bands that will make them money. These are only rarely the bands that are actually making music that is new, inventive, fresh and exciting. Was MTV interested in the White Stripes first two albums? Not at all. Are they interested in them now? Yes. Hugely. Because they make money now.

MTV isn't going to take risks and attempt to showcase things that might or might not become popular as a result, they're only interested in what's already popular.

MTV looks for the lowest common denominator, and always will. I'm sure it was the same in the 60's and 70's as well. The cream always rises to the top, and in thirty years people will probably look back wistfully on the 00's and sigh to themselves saying how wonderful the music was back then.
__________________
Franscar is metal. You are not.
franscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #85 (permalink)
perfect hugging size
 
crimepartner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the hearts of millions
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franscar
MTV is a pop channel playing pop records. They are interested in profits, and in bands that will make them money. These are only rarely the bands that are actually making music that is new, inventive, fresh and exciting. Was MTV interested in the White Stripes first two albums? Not at all. Are they interested in them now? Yes. Hugely. Because they make money now.

MTV isn't going to take risks and attempt to showcase things that might or might not become popular as a result, they're only interested in what's already popular.

MTV looks for the lowest common denominator, and always will. I'm sure it was the same in the 60's and 70's as well. The cream always rises to the top, and in thirty years people will probably look back wistfully on the 00's and sigh to themselves saying how wonderful the music was back then.
everything on mtv is considered pop? why do they have terrible those r and r promos?

look at korn for example... they were big when they were moderately in mtv, but when they started playing follow the leader material everyday, they got even bigger. I dont get your answer, but led zep Has a good point....
__________________
put that on your biscuits!

Squeeze me ma-ac-a-ro-ni... slap your face with my balo-ni....
crimepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #86 (permalink)
Honky
 
franscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 665
Default

I'm not sure you understood my point. Korn are on one of the largest record labels in the world, and MTV plays their music. They play it because they know it will make them money, and that's all they're interested in. They're not interested in showcasing anything new and innovative, because it doesn't make them large amounts of cash.

That's why it's pretty impossible to use MTV playing boring, generic crap as evidence that music is being overrun by boring, generic crap.
__________________
Franscar is metal. You are not.
franscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #87 (permalink)
Whitewater!
 
Merkaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franscar
I'm not sure you understood my point. Korn are on one of the largest record labels in the world, and MTV plays their music. They play it because they know it will make them money, and that's all they're interested in. They're not interested in showcasing anything new and innovative, because it doesn't make them large amounts of cash.
The sad thing is it probably would earn them money if they tried to be innovative. Unfortunately the old adage goes, why change something that doesn't need changing.
__________________
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #88 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Good music is anyway.


Bad music is the flatulence of Satan.
You're right there! Music's DEAD DEAD DEAD,(-Chanting ) DEAD DEAD DEAD
Tee hee
__________________
www.myspace.com/emeraldskyrock
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #89 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: somewhere over the rainbow..
Posts: 34
Default

it's the company and the changing taste of people. no music is bad. it's all opinion.
__________________
ClayManSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #90 (permalink)
perfect hugging size
 
crimepartner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the hearts of millions
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franscar
I'm not sure you understood my point. Korn are on one of the largest record labels in the world, and MTV plays their music. They play it because they know it will make them money, and that's all they're interested in. They're not interested in showcasing anything new and innovative, because it doesn't make them large amounts of cash.

That's why it's pretty impossible to use MTV playing boring, generic crap as evidence that music is being overrun by boring, generic crap.
what Iam saying is korn got WAY bigger when mtv started playing them on TRL. whether your ignorant or dont see it its evident if you went to the trouble to make a graph at cd sales.
Did I say mtv played boring, generic crap? I was talking about the rock scene being currupted into an incoherent image of music.... actually I think you are even making me drift....

led zeps earlier point was pretty good
__________________
put that on your biscuits!

Squeeze me ma-ac-a-ro-ni... slap your face with my balo-ni....
crimepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.