Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   General Music (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/)
-   -   Albums of the year 2010 (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/52929-albums-year-2010-a.html)

Sljslj 11-27-2010 09:37 PM

I think I'm going to check out most of those you mentioned, Pete; you usually have very good tastes and I don't think these will be an exception.

LoathsomePete 11-27-2010 09:40 PM

I appreciate the compliment, that was just a miscellaneous mix of genres, I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year if you're interested. Also just out of curiosity, were you at the Enslaved/ Dimmu Borgir show last night at the Knitting Factory?

Hank The Drifter 11-27-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sljslj (Post 961599)
I think I'm going to check out most of those you mentioned, Pete; you usually have very good tastes and I don't think these will be an exception.

Same, all of those sound like that would fit me well (well, the ones I haven't heard.) and I know from reading other posts made by Pete he has some jam up taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoathsomePete (Post 961601)
I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year

Yeah, I'm thinking about this. I don't usually check out brand new albums from other genres, for some reason. I always check out metal albums rather quickly though. I think its because I keep on top of all the metal releases due to posting on a metal forum regularly and because it tends to be my favorite genre. I'll work on my favorite metal albums and get back to this thread soon.

Sljslj 11-27-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoathsomePete (Post 961601)
I appreciate the compliment, that was just a miscellaneous mix of genres, I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year if you're interested. Also just out of curiosity, were you at the Enslaved/ Dimmu Borgir show last night at the Knitting Factory?

That was last night?! **** **** ****ty ****ty ****! I feel like a ****ing idiot now, I've wanting to see Dimmu live for so long! I'm very disappointed in my self; I'd be smacking my head against the wall and crying right now if it wouldn't warrant weird looks and calls to the mental institution from everyone in the room I'm in.
Do you live in Reno, Pete? I know I've asked you that before, but I forgot what you said.

Anteater 11-27-2010 10:22 PM

These are just a few of many albums that have left a strong impression on me this year, but I think they deserve a mention anyway-

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WceH2hvdQF...t%2BEscape.gif
Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

This year's strongest melodic metal album by a short nose, and that's saying a lot when you've got Vanden Plas, Kamelot AND Anathema on the queue for a very strong year in the world of metal. But lets face it, when it comes to vocals and composition set against a killer instrumental backdrop, this is material that won't be bested too easily, especially by the time you get to the 30-minute title cut. Fucking. Genius.




http://mp3musicmatrix.com/wp-content...l_Consumer.jpg
Black Lung - The Soul Consumer

I've been thoroughly impressed by quite a bunch of 2010's various electronic-related offerings, but honestly, how can anybody beat a project like Black Lung, who designed this throbbing heartbeat of a record which sounds like the personal soundtrack to a serial killer in some smoked-out metropolis who eats his victims? Very nostalgic of certain dying industrial breeds while taking care to appeal to the IDM fiends, this is fucking classy **** and easily AOTY material for me.




http://planetill.com/wp-content/uplo...elle-monae.jpg
Janelle Monįe - The ArchAndroid

This album was certainly a shock to the system when it hit shelves earlier this year -- it's gorgeously ambitious and conceptual from its most upbeat and commercially aspiring to those songs that delve into psychedeliciously experimental territory. Janelle is also one hell of a capable vocalist from swoon to scream to slur, and the songs benefit that much from her talents as they do from the production. R&B/Soul AOTY? You bet your ass.




http://lulzimg.com/i8/b1406797.jpg
Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time [EP]

Along with Moon Safari, Big Big Train have produced this year's top proggy effort in my eyes..and with an EP at that. Featuring a mix of extra material from last year's unsung masterpiece The Underfall Yard sessions and some new stuff such as the 18-minute Jaques Brell ode 'The Wide Open Sea', I couldn't be happier with this quiessential English bunch. They take what Genesis started in the 70's and hoist it to glorious new heights while still having a few interesting things to say for themselves.


NSW 11-27-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 961610)

http://planetill.com/wp-content/uplo...elle-monae.jpg
Janelle Monįe - The ArchAndroid

This album was certainly a shock to the system when it hit shelves earlier this year -- it's gorgeously ambitious and conceptual from its most upbeat and commercially aspiring to those songs that delve into psychedeliciously experimental territory. Janelle is also one hell of a capable vocalist from swoon to scream to slur, and the songs benefit that much from her talents as they do from the production. R&B/Soul AOTY? You bet your ass.




I was having a hard time picking my top albums of 2010, but this one is most definitely where it's at. Love the music videos too. And I heard she's awesome live, but I missed the chance to see her. :(

Sljslj 11-27-2010 10:38 PM

http://www.the-stone-circle.com/stor...lbum-cover.jpg

Shining - Blackjazz
This is the best experimental album I've heard in a long time, possibly ever. It's just amazing, 'nuff said.

sidewinder 11-27-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sljslj (Post 961559)
Yes! I love this, it's one of my favorites of the year as well.

Thirded, it's also on my list. My favorite of the 3 Jaga Jazzist albums I've heard.

Right now I have 35 albums on my list of contenders for a top 10, let's say. Many will require more listening to find their place. I always have a hard time with these lists for that reason - I always listen to so much stuff every year, that year's end is often not enough time to fully absorb everything.

Hank The Drifter 11-27-2010 11:24 PM

Hour of 13's second release is one of my favorites of the year. This traditional doom metal band has made yet another album that's going to go down as a classic. It differs a bit from the earlier self titled album by the band, because the lessened the NWOBHM influence, but that doesn't take away from the album at all in my opinion, still one of the top releases of the year for me.

I don't know where to start with Howl's debut album. This is some of the most 'brutal' sludge I've heard in a very long time, and maybe ever. By brutal I mean it just beats you up. The music isn't always slow, and gets pretty quick at times but the overall heaviness of the album is just overwhelming. The stoner vibe this music has going really helps too. This album beats you up, but at the end you're left wanting more.

Winterfylleth is easily one of my favorite black metal acts out there right now. Two releases and two great efforts in my opinion. This album features some clean vocals which surprisingly work pretty well, along with some acoustic ambiance, yet the album maintains that rough and raw harsh black metal the fans love so much.

This release by the Romanian black metal monster, Negură Bunget isn't quite as good as the older releases, but this is almost a completely since the 2006 release by the band. However, it still comes out quite good. I mean I couldn't possibly compare this one to the 06 release by the band, but yeah. Anyway, this album has that variety of folk instruments that I've grown so close to in my black metal. Also the new release has much better production in my opinion than the older releases by this band. I've heard these dudes compared to Drudkh and Agalloch and those two certainly aren't bad bands to be compared to. If you're a fan of black metal with some folk influence mixed in, this is a must check out album/band.

Wooden Stakes first release is this EP. However, this sounds like something pulled right out of the 80s underground occult doom scene. Its just pure heavy occult doom metal. Its a two person band, from the United States..Oh yeah..the vocalist is a woman who does a pretty darn good job with the vocals. I suggest this heavy hitting album to anyone into heavy doom metal with a side of evil!

Sorry for the poor writing, but I'm not a very good writer, haha.

Sljslj 11-27-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank The Drifter (Post 961633)
Hour of 13's second release is one of my favorites of the year. This traditional doom metal band has made yet another album that's going to go down as a classic. It differs a bit from the earlier self titled album by the band, because the lessened the NWOBHM influence, but that doesn't take away from the album at all in my opinion, still one of the top releases of the year for me.

I don't know where to start with Howl's debut album. This is some of the most 'brutal' sludge I've heard in a very long time, and maybe ever. By brutal I mean it just beats you up. The music isn't always slow, and gets pretty quick at times but the overall heaviness of the album is just overwhelming. The stoner vibe this music has going really helps too. This album beats you up, but at the end you're left wanting more.

Winterfylleth is easily one of my favorite black metal acts out there right now. Two releases and two great efforts in my opinion. This album features some clean vocals which surprisingly work pretty well, along with some acoustic ambiance, yet the album maintains that rough and raw harsh black metal the fans love so much.

This release by the Romanian black metal monster, Negură Bunget isn't quite as good as the older releases, but this is almost a completely since the 2006 release by the band. However, it still comes out quite good. I mean I couldn't possibly compare this one to the 06 release by the band, but yeah. Anyway, this album has that variety of folk instruments that I've grown so close to in my black metal. Also the new release has much better production in my opinion than the older releases by this band. I've heard these dudes compared to Drudkh and Agalloch and those two certainly aren't bad bands to be compared to. If you're a fan of black metal with some folk influence mixed in, this is a must check out album/band.

Wooden Stakes first release is this EP. However, this sounds like something pulled right out of the 80s underground occult doom scene. Its just pure heavy occult doom metal. Its a two person band, from the United States..Oh yeah..the vocalist is a woman who does a pretty darn good job with the vocals. I suggest this heavy hitting album to anyone into heavy doom metal with a side of evil!

Sorry for the poor writing, but I'm not a very good writer, haha.

Me thinks you have good tastes, as well. The only one of these I've heard is Full Of Hell, but that's a very good one. Also, you're a doom metal and black metal fan, that's a Godzilla-sized plus in my book. Have you heard The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society? If not, check them out here, second post on the page.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 PM.


© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.