Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Omniscient
 
Sljslj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 998
Default

I think I'm going to check out most of those you mentioned, Pete; you usually have very good tastes and I don't think these will be an exception.
__________________
Sljslj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

I appreciate the compliment, that was just a miscellaneous mix of genres, I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year if you're interested. Also just out of curiosity, were you at the Enslaved/ Dimmu Borgir show last night at the Knitting Factory?
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Take it easy, but take it
 
Hank The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
I think I'm going to check out most of those you mentioned, Pete; you usually have very good tastes and I don't think these will be an exception.
Same, all of those sound like that would fit me well (well, the ones I haven't heard.) and I know from reading other posts made by Pete he has some jam up taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year
Yeah, I'm thinking about this. I don't usually check out brand new albums from other genres, for some reason. I always check out metal albums rather quickly though. I think its because I keep on top of all the metal releases due to posting on a metal forum regularly and because it tends to be my favorite genre. I'll work on my favorite metal albums and get back to this thread soon.
__________________
“If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing.” - Hank Williams
Hank The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Omniscient
 
Sljslj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I appreciate the compliment, that was just a miscellaneous mix of genres, I could do up a list of my favorite metal albums of the year if you're interested. Also just out of curiosity, were you at the Enslaved/ Dimmu Borgir show last night at the Knitting Factory?
That was last night?! **** **** ****ty ****ty ****! I feel like a ****ing idiot now, I've wanting to see Dimmu live for so long! I'm very disappointed in my self; I'd be smacking my head against the wall and crying right now if it wouldn't warrant weird looks and calls to the mental institution from everyone in the room I'm in.
Do you live in Reno, Pete? I know I've asked you that before, but I forgot what you said.
__________________
Sljslj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 4,086
Default

These are just a few of many albums that have left a strong impression on me this year, but I think they deserve a mention anyway-


Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

This year's strongest melodic metal album by a short nose, and that's saying a lot when you've got Vanden Plas, Kamelot AND Anathema on the queue for a very strong year in the world of metal. But lets face it, when it comes to vocals and composition set against a killer instrumental backdrop, this is material that won't be bested too easily, especially by the time you get to the 30-minute title cut. Fucking. Genius.





Black Lung - The Soul Consumer

I've been thoroughly impressed by quite a bunch of 2010's various electronic-related offerings, but honestly, how can anybody beat a project like Black Lung, who designed this throbbing heartbeat of a record which sounds like the personal soundtrack to a serial killer in some smoked-out metropolis who eats his victims? Very nostalgic of certain dying industrial breeds while taking care to appeal to the IDM fiends, this is fucking classy **** and easily AOTY material for me.





Janelle Monįe - The ArchAndroid

This album was certainly a shock to the system when it hit shelves earlier this year -- it's gorgeously ambitious and conceptual from its most upbeat and commercially aspiring to those songs that delve into psychedeliciously experimental territory. Janelle is also one hell of a capable vocalist from swoon to scream to slur, and the songs benefit that much from her talents as they do from the production. R&B/Soul AOTY? You bet your ass.





Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time [EP]

Along with Moon Safari, Big Big Train have produced this year's top proggy effort in my eyes..and with an EP at that. Featuring a mix of extra material from last year's unsung masterpiece The Underfall Yard sessions and some new stuff such as the 18-minute Jaques Brell ode 'The Wide Open Sea', I couldn't be happier with this quiessential English bunch. They take what Genesis started in the 70's and hoist it to glorious new heights while still having a few interesting things to say for themselves.

__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post


Janelle Monįe - The ArchAndroid

This album was certainly a shock to the system when it hit shelves earlier this year -- it's gorgeously ambitious and conceptual from its most upbeat and commercially aspiring to those songs that delve into psychedeliciously experimental territory. Janelle is also one hell of a capable vocalist from swoon to scream to slur, and the songs benefit that much from her talents as they do from the production. R&B/Soul AOTY? You bet your ass.



I was having a hard time picking my top albums of 2010, but this one is most definitely where it's at. Love the music videos too. And I heard she's awesome live, but I missed the chance to see her.
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Omniscient
 
Sljslj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 998
Default



Shining - Blackjazz
This is the best experimental album I've heard in a long time, possibly ever. It's just amazing, 'nuff said.
__________________

Last edited by Sljslj; 11-29-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Sljslj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
Yes! I love this, it's one of my favorites of the year as well.
Thirded, it's also on my list. My favorite of the 3 Jaga Jazzist albums I've heard.

Right now I have 35 albums on my list of contenders for a top 10, let's say. Many will require more listening to find their place. I always have a hard time with these lists for that reason - I always listen to so much stuff every year, that year's end is often not enough time to fully absorb everything.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Take it easy, but take it
 
Hank The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 213
Default


Hour of 13's second release is one of my favorites of the year. This traditional doom metal band has made yet another album that's going to go down as a classic. It differs a bit from the earlier self titled album by the band, because the lessened the NWOBHM influence, but that doesn't take away from the album at all in my opinion, still one of the top releases of the year for me.


I don't know where to start with Howl's debut album. This is some of the most 'brutal' sludge I've heard in a very long time, and maybe ever. By brutal I mean it just beats you up. The music isn't always slow, and gets pretty quick at times but the overall heaviness of the album is just overwhelming. The stoner vibe this music has going really helps too. This album beats you up, but at the end you're left wanting more.


Winterfylleth is easily one of my favorite black metal acts out there right now. Two releases and two great efforts in my opinion. This album features some clean vocals which surprisingly work pretty well, along with some acoustic ambiance, yet the album maintains that rough and raw harsh black metal the fans love so much.


This release by the Romanian black metal monster, Negură Bunget isn't quite as good as the older releases, but this is almost a completely since the 2006 release by the band. However, it still comes out quite good. I mean I couldn't possibly compare this one to the 06 release by the band, but yeah. Anyway, this album has that variety of folk instruments that I've grown so close to in my black metal. Also the new release has much better production in my opinion than the older releases by this band. I've heard these dudes compared to Drudkh and Agalloch and those two certainly aren't bad bands to be compared to. If you're a fan of black metal with some folk influence mixed in, this is a must check out album/band.


Wooden Stakes first release is this EP. However, this sounds like something pulled right out of the 80s underground occult doom scene. Its just pure heavy occult doom metal. Its a two person band, from the United States..Oh yeah..the vocalist is a woman who does a pretty darn good job with the vocals. I suggest this heavy hitting album to anyone into heavy doom metal with a side of evil!

Sorry for the poor writing, but I'm not a very good writer, haha.
__________________
“If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing.” - Hank Williams
Hank The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Omniscient
 
Sljslj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank The Drifter View Post

Hour of 13's second release is one of my favorites of the year. This traditional doom metal band has made yet another album that's going to go down as a classic. It differs a bit from the earlier self titled album by the band, because the lessened the NWOBHM influence, but that doesn't take away from the album at all in my opinion, still one of the top releases of the year for me.


I don't know where to start with Howl's debut album. This is some of the most 'brutal' sludge I've heard in a very long time, and maybe ever. By brutal I mean it just beats you up. The music isn't always slow, and gets pretty quick at times but the overall heaviness of the album is just overwhelming. The stoner vibe this music has going really helps too. This album beats you up, but at the end you're left wanting more.


Winterfylleth is easily one of my favorite black metal acts out there right now. Two releases and two great efforts in my opinion. This album features some clean vocals which surprisingly work pretty well, along with some acoustic ambiance, yet the album maintains that rough and raw harsh black metal the fans love so much.


This release by the Romanian black metal monster, Negură Bunget isn't quite as good as the older releases, but this is almost a completely since the 2006 release by the band. However, it still comes out quite good. I mean I couldn't possibly compare this one to the 06 release by the band, but yeah. Anyway, this album has that variety of folk instruments that I've grown so close to in my black metal. Also the new release has much better production in my opinion than the older releases by this band. I've heard these dudes compared to Drudkh and Agalloch and those two certainly aren't bad bands to be compared to. If you're a fan of black metal with some folk influence mixed in, this is a must check out album/band.


Wooden Stakes first release is this EP. However, this sounds like something pulled right out of the 80s underground occult doom scene. Its just pure heavy occult doom metal. Its a two person band, from the United States..Oh yeah..the vocalist is a woman who does a pretty darn good job with the vocals. I suggest this heavy hitting album to anyone into heavy doom metal with a side of evil!

Sorry for the poor writing, but I'm not a very good writer, haha.
Me thinks you have good tastes, as well. The only one of these I've heard is Full Of Hell, but that's a very good one. Also, you're a doom metal and black metal fan, that's a Godzilla-sized plus in my book. Have you heard The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society? If not, check them out here, second post on the page.
__________________
Sljslj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.