Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, you're trading that one good album out of one hundred for a music industry that will push you a cavalcade of solid yet unoriginal works, of the few "good" works they chose to push.

Even when the industry wasn't 100% controlled by monopolies most of the best of the best remained in somewhat obscurity. In fact, thanks to the Internet, we can actually appreciate those obscurities in retrospect more than the listeners of their time ever could. After all, if it's truly ahead of it's time, it's bound to fail on it's initial release.
I'm not talking about past releases.Besides, even the most obscure releases whether they be on majors or independents had some promotion or column inches on release.

I'm talking about if thousands of bands release their music onto the internet.
None of it will have any promotion, there will be precious little to filter out the good from the bad and it'll just get lost in one great big dumping ground of freely available music.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #62 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'm not talking about past releases.Besides, even the most obscure releases whether they be on majors or independents had some promotion or column inches on release.

I'm talking about if thousands of bands release their music onto the internet.
None of it will have any promotion, there will be precious little to filter out the good from the bad and it'll just get lost in one great big dumping ground of freely available music.
Well, this opens the door to regionality. Not that it's happening, but the possibility of regions building unique subcultures of music. Gives people some reason to leave the door if they can get A quality bands in their backyard.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Screen13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,367
Default

Music fans will always find ways to get good music, pure and simple!

In the Internet age, there may be more chances of finding music that should have been just left unleashed, but the word of mouth about the better music has more outlets of being read than before. With that 1 out of 100 theory in mind, I can see the many discussion forums (like this...) helping out to point to that one. I may be far too much of an optimist, but there it is.

The Mainstream will always be that...hooked on fame and fortune. Still, with the focus more on visual/game/tech happenings that only use music as wallpaper (The way the masses always treated music, anyways), maybe it's best that music enters a time away from most of the mass media that hardly understood it anyways. Serious music listeners, even at it's most Pop, always were an underground into it's own, and at least it's getting to know what is happening around the world at the moment rather than five to ten years after the fact.

Last edited by Screen13; 01-11-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #64 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I agree. The fact that I can record a full length album for a few hundred dollars in my bedroom if I have the instruments already means that music you and I love will always be around. That didnt use to be the case.
THIS. this is also why there was such a huge boom of bands in the 60s. technology became affordable and it shows no signs of abating.

i don't see how regionalization is detrimental to the independent musician. perhaps detrimental to the independent who wants to live like they're the pop star du jour or dreaming they might become rock stars like it's still the 70s. if you're honestly playing because you honestly want to play then it won't matter. if you're playing because you want to do it for a living, shut the hell up, and sell the fock out. otherwise the reality is, you WILL be working a day job, and your 'tour' won't happen unless you and the other guys in the band can all get time off at the same time, and even then you'll be paying for everything. it's not because the mainstream sucks, it's not because your band isn't good, it's because your band isn't that good.

as for having to dig through crap to find gold, it's always been that way, sure the internet makes it exponentially more time consuming but we've already started establishing systems to cut through the rubbish. by the time it proliferates to the mainstream there will be plenty of other systems in place to help listeners sort through the trash to find what they like most.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
Supernatural anaesthetist
 
Dotoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Örebro, Sweden
Posts: 434
Default

mr. Dave: Exactly, precisely and spot on! Although...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for having to dig through crap to find gold, it's always been that way, sure the internet makes it exponentially more time consuming but we've already started establishing systems to cut through the rubbish.
I'd say that the Internet has made it all the more efficient to cut through the crap, much more efficient since you don't have to rely just on what surfaces in the record store and vague recommendations. If you discovered one good band way-back-when, then you'll probably discover ten good bands today, and with a fraction of the effort.

Doesn't take away your main point though.
__________________
- More is more -
Dotoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #66 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Exactly, the best way to discover music is to find band you love, and look into their influences, and what they influence. The Internet makes that discovery process oh so much easier.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Exactly, the best way to discover music is to find band you love, and look into their influences, and what they influence. The Internet makes that discovery process oh so much easier.
Cough Cough last.fm
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that if there's more music available on the internet and it's easier to put your music up there how it becomes easier to find good music. Where exactly are these filters people speak of?
I reckon I must listen to at least 10 times more ****ty bands than I ever used to before I came online. And pretty much all those bands had record contracts with both majors & independents, Imagine how much more bad music they'll be if I add unsigned bands to that too.

As for finding out bands influences, I don't really see how that answers my point. I'm not talking about signed bands that have records out. I'm talking about people who are forced to put their own stuff out because no label will touch them.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that if there's more music available on the internet and it's easier to put your music up there how it becomes easier to find good music. Where exactly are these filters people speak of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
As for finding out bands influences, I don't really see how that answers my point. I'm not talking about signed bands that have records out. I'm talking about people who are forced to put their own stuff out because no label will touch them.
Well heres one example, Blogs. I visit a lot of blogs on a daily basis because the people running them review then post links to bands that are often unsigned and unknown. Now I have a much better chance at liking what I download because these people clearly have similar tastes and influences as myself.

Last FM/Pandora and lots of other music services have small self released stuff on there not just big label stuff. I see your point in listening to more ****ty stuff, but as you become better at navigating the Internets music resources I think your chances of finding something you like also grow exponentially.

And hell what about this website, I know the members that have certain tastes, so if they recommend something theirs a good chance I will like it.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

I see your point but I have to be honest & say that blogs are responsible for about 90% of all the ****ty music I hear, So I would say it works both ways really.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.