|10-06-2019, 07:01 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Oct 2019
Is a MIDI controller right for me?
Please forgive me but I didn't know where else to turn - like so many noobs!
I am thinking about getting a MIDI controller. I have a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.6 and use Logic Pro X, Final Cut, and sometimes Audacity. I am gearing up for podcasts and youtube videos of which OBS will be a part of my workflow. However, the controller will be use primarily for upping my game in the following areas:
1) Sound effects during live stream podcasts and youtube videos;
2) Live theatre style events and live streams of sound effects. I gamemaster for role playing games and host murder mystery parties in which I am wanting to ambient music, monster sound effects, and other audio gems to the game table / virtual table at the push of a button without the need of navigating file menus and such through my DAW or other software;
3) I would also like to take my music creation from just garage jamming to actual recording in a studio I'm building in my home.
I was looking at the Maschine MK3, MK3 Mikro, Personus Atom, Akai MPK 249/261, Novation launch pad Pro, and the Akai APC40 Mii. There are soo many out there I've about exhausted my ability to dive any further and ran into analysis paralysis.
Here's what I want in terms of functionality:
1) Full ability to be used while recording my screen with OBS and in Logic Pro X and compatibility on the MacOS/iOS eco systems. If I must use other software it must be mac compatible with the exported files being used in Logic Pro X / Final Cut.
2) High quality/durability -- i.e. professional grade
3) push button assignments for full ambient sound effects & background music such as bar atmosphere crow, jazz bar music, cave ambient sounds, wind and thunderstorms, etc.
4) push button assignments for sound effects that are one offs such as a dragon roar or some pre-prep'd character speech.
5) ability to be used as a music machine as most people use these for.
Nice to have: Velocity sensitive key's because I do toy with finger drumming at times and would enjoy this feature.
I don't DJ and am new to midi / professional music DAW use / creation so am really lost in all this. I don't plan to DJ music but considering the rpg aspect of what I do and am, trying to accomplish, I figured midi controllers should be what I was looking for.
Am I looking at the right equipment and in the ball park of what I should be looking for? Or am i completely off in left field? What would you recommend I look at to meet my needs? Any particular product favorites out there?
Much appreciation for your assistance and patience.
|10-07-2019, 08:55 AM||#3 (permalink)|
Join Date: Oct 2019
Not particularly worried about the cost. I'm concerned if a MIDI controller will do what I'm looking for and if it's the right way to go for something like this as opposed to another tool I'm just not aware of.
I was also toying with the idea of a digital keyboard where I could edit the sounds the keys play which could also be used as a MIDI controller - but i don't know if these exist.
I was also somewhat wanting a device that could be played by itself without the need of a computer / DAW to be plugged into. Ideally it would be able to connect to an external speaker (via bluetooth or cable) so I could get high quality sounds.