Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #10821 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
I remember the remains of an old Anderson shelter that was in my Grans back garden.
All that was left was a rusty old base. Probably still there.
They never used it, instead they used to hide under the stairs in a cubby hole, which was just as well because the houses that backed onto my Grans were flattened one night during an air raid!
Thats the name I've been looking for, Anderson Shelter! Thank you. There isn't anything war related where I stay, 'cause I stay in a really small village so children from the city probably got evacuated to homes around here. I'm going to ask my Papa, cause he was a little boy when the war started. The closest thing I've ever seen related to the war, was money my Papa found in his garden, and the things that sorted the Rations out. Better than nothing I guess.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #10822 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Sounds a lot safer than the tin can Anderson shelters.
How the fuck they expected anyone to survive a bomb blast sat in one of those is beyond me.

What was the bunker for Urban? (apart for Germans taking cover in)
Was there some kind of installation nearby?
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #10823 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

I always wondered what the point in an Anderson Shelter was. 'Cause as you say, it wouldn't provide any protection at all really.

edit: they were home made :O
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #10824 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
Thats the name I've been looking for, Anderson Shelter! Thank you. There isn't anything war related where I stay, 'cause I stay in a really small village so children from the city probably got evacuated to homes around here. I'm going to ask my Papa, cause he was a little boy when the war started. The closest thing I've ever seen related to the war, was money my Papa found in his garden, and the things that sorted the Rations out. Better than nothing I guess.
There's still gaps in the terrace where the houses used to be to this day.
I think there were about 9 deaths. My Gran used to blame the bloke at the end house because he was stood on his doorstep watching the raid and smoking a cig at the time.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #10825 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
There's still gaps in the terrace where the houses used to be to this day.
I think there were about 9 deaths. My Gran used to blame the bloke at the end house because he was stood on his doorstep watching the raid and smoking a cig at the time.
There's a castle here that's been damaged by bombs. It was sort of rebuilt kinda. Haha, sounds like a good enough explaination Grans are amazing with their views on stuff
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #10826 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
edit: they were home made :O
"They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in (1.95m by 1.35m). The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall."



6 people were meant to sleep and shelter in these things.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #10827 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
"They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in (1.95m by 1.35m). The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall."



6 people were meant to sleep and shelter in these things.
You couldn't swing a cat in there by the looks of it, never mind fir 6 people in it. I suppose it is more roomish than under the stairs .
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #10828 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

The south where I'm from is riddled with german bunkers after the german occupation. The mountains there are like swizz cheese .. really. I've spent quite a lot of time in dank, dark holes.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #10829 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Don't let the girlfriend read that. ^
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #10830 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Speaking of Nazi era bunkers, basements and hideouts...
When I was stationed in Germany, some friends and I were out one night drinkin' some drank and and we found a way into this old locked up basement (B&E) underneath a building on an ex-Nazi, now U.S. controlled military base where our barracks were located.

Here are some of the pictures I took:









Ze Germans!
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.