What TV shows are people watching? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #3431 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
True Detective

So I watched the season 2 premiere last night and while it was a solid effort with a lot going for it, they seemed to have put the mystery on hold for this episode to instead focus on our 3 miserable protagonists. There was some real nice cinematography going on and I loved the dirty and industrialized view of California that you so rarely see. The acting was top notch and the writing was HBO caliber and I suspect this will help reestablish the careers of Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell and maybe even finally launch Taylor Kitsch into something worth a damn. Story wise, it was a little predictable and by saving the crime scene that brings the 3 protagonists together till the very end did help build intrigue for later episodes, but for an opener it didn't leave much to chew on besides guessing why all 3 main characters are so fucked up and who will be redeemed by the end of the series. I'm really hoping for a continuation of the Lovecraftian horror elements and themes from season 1 though, and we really didn't get that in last nights episode.

All that being said, there's a moment where Colin Farrell's character is beating the shit out of a 12 year old kid's dad right in front of him and says that he'll "butt fuck his dad with his moms headless corpse". To me that's worth the price of admission alone.
Wait, what?! Apparently I've been asleep.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #3432 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
True Detective

So I watched the season 2 premiere last night and while it was a solid effort with a lot going for it, they seemed to have put the mystery on hold for this episode to instead focus on our 3 miserable protagonists. There was some real nice cinematography going on and I loved the dirty and industrialized view of California that you so rarely see. The acting was top notch and the writing was HBO caliber and I suspect this will help reestablish the careers of Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell and maybe even finally launch Taylor Kitsch into something worth a damn. Story wise, it was a little predictable and by saving the crime scene that brings the 3 protagonists together till the very end did help build intrigue for later episodes, but for an opener it didn't leave much to chew on besides guessing why all 3 main characters are so fucked up and who will be redeemed by the end of the series. I'm really hoping for a continuation of the Lovecraftian horror elements and themes from season 1 though, and we really didn't get that in last nights episode.

All that being said, there's a moment where Colin Farrell's character is beating the shit out of a 12 year old kid's dad right in front of him and says that he'll "butt fuck his dad with his moms headless corpse". To me that's worth the price of admission alone.
It's going to be tough for it to escape the shadow season 1 cast over it. EVERYONE is going to compare the two to death no matter how much they try to distance themselves from it by giving it its own unique story/feel. If this was a new series, there is no way in hell it would be sitting at 61 on Metacritic right now.

I thought the early scene with Farrell and the lawyer was a nice touch. Made the viewer think it was going to be another flashback-style theme. Felt like it was a nod to the first season saying that they're aware of the comparisons but want to make this season its own thing.

Tough to judge this episode though. It was essentially all backstory and character development. Now that they've all been brought together at the end, the real fun will probably start in regards to actually advancing the plot.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #3433 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Wait, what?! Apparently I've been asleep.
It's a very minute reference to The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, who was an inspiration for Lovecraft. He even incorporated ideas into the Cthulhu mythos, mostly about grand ideas/ revelations causing insanity. The show more focuses on Chambers' writing though, but the ritualistic pagan sacrifice was similar to "The Dunwich Horror" by Lovecraft. While he didn't necessarily invent the genre of Weird Fiction, Lovecraft is kind of the face of it, so when people talk about it he's more likely to be name dropped than anyone else.

Here's an interesting read that showcases the references.

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
It's going to be tough for it to escape the shadow season 1 cast over it. EVERYONE is going to compare the two to death no matter how much they try to distance themselves from it by giving it its own unique story/feel. If this was a new series, there is no way in hell it would be sitting at 61 on Metacritic right now.

I thought the early scene with Farrell and the lawyer was a nice touch. Made the viewer think it was going to be another flashback-style theme. Felt like it was a nod to the first season saying that they're aware of the comparisons but want to make this season its own thing.

Tough to judge this episode though. It was essentially all backstory and character development. Now that they've all been brought together at the end, the real fun will probably start in regards to actually advancing the plot.
It's true, this season wasn't going to have an easy ride, but honestly the way people are just jumping all over this one episode really just screams "Everyone look at me, I have a contentious opinion about something that is almost universally loved, aren't I deep and edgy?". That said, it would have been nice to get more of the crime scene in this episode and how these messed up individuals are going to go about solving it, and how it relates back to each of their neuroses.

Here's my theories on each character.

Spoiler for Potential Spoilers?:
So it's pretty obvious that Farrell's character has some massive anger issues, both evidenced by his display to his son at the school, and how he mentally scarred his son's bully. What's the bet that his wife was having an affair and the "rapist" was actually just her lover, for whom he mercilessly beats and or kills?

McAdam's character is a little harder to figure out. She has intimacy issues which could suggest some kind of molestation from her past, but I dunno, that seems like a long shot. Her mother's suicide is definitely a catalyst point for her, and I think her father hit the nail on the head when he said her decision to go into law enforcement was more due out of rebellion to his hippie philosophies. The only reason I go to molestation is her disdain when she discovers that her sister is a cam girl. Her character is definitely the one I feel I know the least about, but I am interested in learning more about her.

Finally we have Kitsch's character who I think is going to be the moral center of the show. His Lieutenant mentioned his work as a mercenary for a group I'm going to assume is the show's parallel to Blackwater. Given Blackwater's repugnant reputation and Kitsch's suicidal tendencies, I think it's safe to say that he was involved in the death or deaths of an Iraqi citizen, probably a child, and escaped punishment.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #3434 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
It's a very minute reference to The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, who was an inspiration for Lovecraft. He even incorporated ideas into the Cthulhu mythos, mostly about grand ideas/ revelations causing insanity. The show more focuses on Chambers' writing though, but the ritualistic pagan sacrifice was similar to "The Dunwich Horror" by Lovecraft. While he didn't necessarily invent the genre of Weird Fiction, Lovecraft is kind of the face of it, so when people talk about it he's more likely to be name dropped than anyone else.

Here's an interesting read that showcases the references.

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate
Alright, I didn't want to read that whole thing, and possibly ruin a bunch of ****, but just tell me this: is it a possibility that the true villains of the series might turn out to be the Old Ones? Cause if so, I gotta get me some of this ****.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #3435 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright, I didn't want to read that whole thing, and possibly ruin a bunch of ****, but just tell me this: is it a possibility that the true villains of the series might turn out to be the Old Ones? Cause if so, I gotta get me some of this ****.
No, like I said, they are just tangential references that might explain the killer's motivation but beyond that there's no supernatural elements to the show for either season (thus far at least).
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #3436 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
No, like I said, they are just tangential references that might explain the killer's motivation but beyond that there's no supernatural elements to the show for either season (thus far at least).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #3437 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Still a great series regardless and most definitely worth your time.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #3438 (permalink)
Scuttle Buttin'
 
Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boulder Colorado
Posts: 961
Default

Wow, thanks for the King in Yellow article. Very interesting. So much great dialogue in True Detective I found myself rewinding quite a bit to re-listen although it kind of ruins the flow of the show. But stuff like " Look, as sentient meat, however illusory our identities are, we craft those identities by making value judgments: everybody judges, all the time. Now, you got a problem with that... You're livin' wrong."

I so want to start a metal band and call it "Sentient Meat".

Can't wait to start the new season tonight.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #3439 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,077
Default

Late to the party here. Just started watch TD because of the this thread. I'm two episodes in and am absolutely floored with it so far. Took a little while to get use to the slow rhythm of it but damn - super high quality acting, dialogue, cinematography, storyline so far, and a very creepy disturbing undercurrent to it all. McConaughey and Harrelson are each playing characters that they've done many times before but they've got them so freaking perfected that it's not distracting at all.

Great stuff.
__________________
The sun can warm the coolest dawn
And move the movement on the lawn



9/3/2021
1,000 days sober
tick tock tick tock
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #3440 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas girl living in the UK
Posts: 2,577
Default



Because shut up it's good. And Netflix marathons are my life now.



Actually, starting this one over. Because I never finished it the first time, but it's hilarious and needs to be seen.
__________________
Hi.

Last edited by NSW; 06-23-2015 at 11:27 AM.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.