What TV shows are people watching? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #7001 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 25,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Anyone know of any half-decent British (or Nordic or whatever) procedurals on Netflix? If I enjoyed Line of Duty and hated every single Harlan Coben adaptation, then I should like...
Have you tried A Touch of Frost? David Jason shines even if it is a little old.
For Nordic, well there are so many. I found La Promesse (The Promise duh) to be pretty exceptional, then there's When the Dust Settles, Cry Wolf, Snow Angels, Angel of Death, Raven... depends on what you're looking for. A similar show to LoD, much older, is Between the Lines, which I found quite good.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #7002 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Have you tried A Touch of Frost? David Jason shines even if it is a little old.
For Nordic, well there are so many. I found La Promesse (The Promise duh) to be pretty exceptional, then there's When the Dust Settles, Cry Wolf, Snow Angels, Angel of Death, Raven... depends on what you're looking for. A similar show to LoD, much older, is Between the Lines, which I found quite good.
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. Old is not a problem: I love Morse, so will gladly give Frost a go. I mean my favorite show of all time might be The Avengers (Steed and Mrs Peel, nothing to do with the superhero vortex of idiocy), love The Singing Detective, The Young Ones etc etc. But right now I just want some suspense, with enough atmosphere to hook you and not so dumb that it's annoying (which is the problem with your generic netflix show).

One nordic noir I really liked was the first season of Trapped. The second season, less so.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:09 AM   #7003 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,931
Default



Just finished the first (of 3) segments of Jeen-yuhs on Netflix. It was interesting to see that he struggled a lot for the initial break and had to really fight for it. It's watchable because it's before he became a humongous asshole. He's just an awkward kid with braces, hopeful that he will make it but not all that sure about his rapping abilities. It's kind of endearing to see him get approval from established rappers of the era. I guess the next chapters will be much more uncomfortable as we see him evolve from this talented, motivated but awkward and insecure kid into the giant mess we all know him as today. :/

The narration is really annoying though, the intonation is like a kid rehearsing lines for a school play.
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd

Last edited by adidasss; 04-18-2022 at 05:30 AM.
adidasss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:22 AM   #7004 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. Old is not a problem: I love Morse, so will gladly give Frost a go. I mean my favorite show of all time might be The Avengers (Steed and Mrs Peel, nothing to do with the superhero vortex of idiocy), love The Singing Detective, The Young Ones etc etc. But right now I just want some suspense, with enough atmosphere to hook you and not so dumb that it's annoying (which is the problem with your generic netflix show).

One nordic noir I really liked was the first season of Trapped. The second season, less so.
Btw, did you see Bodyguard? Also from Jed Mercurio of LoD. Broadchurch season 1 was excellent.

I remember liking Silent witness when Amanda Burton was in the lead role. It has a million seasons though and not sure what the quality was like after her departure.

Prime suspect with Helen Mirren.

Foyle's war is set during WWII.

Cadfael is set during the middle ages (more mystery than procedural).

I enjoyed The stranger also. Again more mystery than procedural.
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #7005 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Btw, did you see Bodyguard? Also from Jed Mercurio of LoD. Broadchurch season 1 was excellent.

I remember liking Silent witness when Amanda Burton was in the lead role. It has a million seasons though and not sure what the quality was like after her departure.

Prime suspect with Helen Mirren.

Foyle's war is set during WWII.

Cadfael is set during the middle ages (more mystery than procedural).

I enjoyed The stranger also. Again more mystery than procedural.
Seen the Bodyguard, I'll watch anything if it has Keeley Hawes. Broadchurch not yet.

Cadfael sounds interesting! What I really need is something like that or Foyle's War but set during the English Civil Wars, the historical period I can't stop reading about these days.

Should watch Prime Suspect, it's often mentioned in the same breath as the outstanding Robbie Coltrane vehicle Cracker.

Mystery is great, for me it's interchangeable with procedurals, either can do the job if the mood is right and it's not too stupid. Will give The Stranger a try, though there's something about this Coben's writing that rubs me the wrong way (the sentimentality maybe?). Someone told me the Korean show The Stranger that's also on Netflix is fantastic.

Thanks.

Started La Promesse, very good show.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #7006 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 25,045
Default

For the ECW, I believe a very old show called By the Sword Divided is worth watching. I literally watched it when I was at school (so, say 45 years ago or more) and I think it's one of those BBC period dramas. If you haven't seen it, though it's a movie rather than a series, Richard Harris in Cromwell is tremendous viewing. Again, it's old, maybe 1960s/70s.

I tried Cracker and have to say I hated it with a passion. I also was surprised to find that after I thoroughly enjoyed Prime Suspect 1973, the prequel, I truly hated Prime Suspect, my main issue being that when they couldn't prove the guy did it he conveniently and for no good reason at all confessed. Now I know it's La Plante, but that is some damned lazy writing.

Silent Witness only got better as it went on. I've seen all seasons, and I have to say it stands out as one of the few shows where people - and I mean, main characters, top talent - are killed off, and I think this makes it very fresh for me. I'm just going to assume you've seen Hill Street Blues duh, and other than that in terms of police procedurals of course The Wire again duh but The District is pretty cool too (Craig T Nelson from Coach) and there are plenty of true-life dramas such as A Confession (Martin Freeman), Honour, Whitechapel Farm and Lucan, all worth a look.

Can't say I'm with you on Coben, though I've only seen The Five, and thoroughly enjoyed that.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #7007 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Anyone know of any half-decent British (or Nordic or whatever) procedurals on Netflix? If I enjoyed Line of Duty and hated every single Harlan Coben adaptation, then I should like...
Have you seen The Fall?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:07 AM   #7008 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post


Just finished the first (of 3) segments of Jeen-yuhs on Netflix. It was interesting to see that he struggled a lot for the initial break and had to really fight for it. It's watchable because it's before he became a humongous asshole. He's just an awkward kid with braces, hopeful that he will make it but not all that sure about his rapping abilities. It's kind of endearing to see him get approval from established rappers of the era. I guess the next chapters will be much more uncomfortable as we see him evolve from this talented, motivated but awkward and insecure kid into the giant mess we all know him as today. :/

The narration is really annoying though, the intonation is like a kid rehearsing lines for a school play.
I also finished this the other day. I definitely have a new found respect for Kanye and his music, it’s a shame he is an absolute car crash of a man though.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:59 AM   #7009 (permalink)
five by five
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 3,142
Default

Oh btw jadis, I watched state of play. It was good and Kelly Macdonald and her accent are top tier. I think the last plot twist lacked a proper build-up so it seemed a bit unrealistic, but apart from that it's a well-constructed story. I always like watching journalism in action and especially the emotional entanglements between the characters were well done
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:46 PM   #7010 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 804
Default

Cracker is one of my favorites. Gritty, bleak and so so well executed. The pilot was directed by Michael Winterbottom, one of the great directors of the generation who (like Danny Boyle in Morse) got his start in crime dramas. The actors are some of the best in the business (stunning guest performances from Robert Carlyle and Adrian Dunbar in addition to the regulars), the writing is sharp, the protagonist/antagonist highly intelligent and demon-ridden. It’s perf.

I guess my problem with Coben is the Netflixy feel of the shows. As though it was produced by AI… he’s a Jersey guy and the shows are set in Britain and France, sans any local flavor. Whereas Morse could only be set in Oxford, Cracker is a deeply Mancunian affair etc. And the dialogue is not exactly worthy of Le Carré (my gold standard is TTSS with Alec Guinness)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Oh btw jadis, I watched state of play. It was good and Kelly Macdonald and her accent are top tier. I think the last plot twist lacked a proper build-up so it seemed a bit unrealistic, but apart from that it's a well-constructed story. I always like watching journalism in action and especially the emotional entanglements between the characters were well done
You’re spot on about the centrality of reporting, I think in that it’s the Blair era update of All The President’s Men. The twist we’ll agree to disagree on, I bought it hook line and sinker! Knew you would love KM! For me the milf wife is the eye candy. What a performance from Bill Nighy as the editor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
Have you seen The Fall?
Wasn’t crazy about the first season, I thought even Scully looked a bit bored…
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.