Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > New Releases Ratings Forum
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Rate it, yo.
5 24 26.37%
4 23 25.27%
3 17 18.68%
2 10 10.99%
1 17 18.68%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #291 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
The album was purposely made that way. It wasn't supposed to have one unified sound the whole way through. That's why some fans prefer the first half of the album while other fans prefer the last half of the album or they end up enjoying both halves except for that one stupid track in the middle.
It's not a cohesion problem, Wolf had a pretty noticeable aversion to good track flow. It's just that the tracks don't feel urgent enough to warrant such a short album. Some of them sound almost identical, some sound like filler or are just kind of uninteresting. But this is all totally opinion. Personally, I thought the last album even had filler tracks, but here I shouldn't mind them as much because they're only, like, three minutes as opposed to seven.

Quote:
I love that it was only 10 tracks instead of having an album full of fillers like Wolf.
>:( that album had a full on story, man. Kanye wants to talk about concept albums, sheeeit.

Quote:
I actually enjoyed 8 out of 10 tracks. Just like two in the middle that I didn't really care for.
I skip all through the album myself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #292 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
It's not a cohesion problem, Wolf had a pretty noticeable aversion to good track flow. It's just that the tracks don't feel urgent enough to warrant such a short album. Some of them sound almost identical, some sound like filler or are just kind of uninteresting. But this is all totally opinion. Personally, I thought the last album even had filler tracks, but here I shouldn't mind them as much because they're only, like, three minutes as opposed to seven.
I feel like 10 tracks was perfect for what he was attempting to do. He dabbled a bit in Death Grips like tracks near the beginning then on the second half of the album he stuck to what he knows best and ended it with a really soulful track that just tied the whole thing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
>:( that album had a full on story, man. Kanye wants to talk about concept albums, sheeeit.
He did a concept album already and that's why you love MTBDF because it was more concept related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
I skip all through the album myself.
Which tracks did you actually end up liking then? I'm curious.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #293 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Pelican Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Default

The beats are amazing, but the words are awful, as usual. I loved the samples though, having the "He'll give us what we need..." one as my favorite. And the 808's vibe on Blood on the Leaves, with that Nina Simone sample on the background is just awesome. And I Am a God is his worst song ever. Like, seriously? What the ****. Not even the beat saves that tune.
Pelican Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #294 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I feel like 10 tracks was perfect for what he was attempting to do. He dabbled a bit in Death Grips like tracks near the beginning then on the second half of the album he stuck to what he knows best and ended it with a really soulful track that just tied the whole thing together.
I felt like the rhyming all the way through was just Kanye doing what he knows best, only having some standout ways of doing it, but still being pretty insignifigant throughout.


Quote:
He did a concept album already and that's why you love MTBDF because it was more concept related.
Actually, I despise MBFDTTdfQQQQER because it's "concept" is total bull****. Sure, the production is good, but there were way too many filler tracks for a prog-hop album, and, as mentioned, there is in no way some overall story or concept to tie it together. It's a trick, while he brings in sort of characters and tries to use violins and cohesion to make it seem like one united piece, none of the tracks really live in the same universe, besides the fact that they are Kanye West rap songs.


Quote:
Which tracks did you actually end up liking then? I'm curious.
"On Sight," "Black Skinhead," "New Slaves," "Blood On the Leaves" (only for the beat, Kanye was so beyond shitty and abusive to a great sample on it), and "Bound 2," which is probably the best on the album besides "New Slaves," mainly because Kanye actually does Kanye well, which is not deep or very experimental. I think I liked the beat on "Send it Up" too but I never feel a real reason to listen to it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #295 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Actually, I despise MBFDTTdfQQQQER because it's "concept" is total bull****. Sure, the production is good, but there were way too many filler tracks for a prog-hop album, and, as mentioned, there is in no way some overall story or concept to tie it together. It's a trick, while he brings in sort of characters and tries to use violins and cohesion to make it seem like one united piece, none of the tracks really live in the same universe, besides the fact that they are Kanye West rap songs.
The tracks are loosely related it all starts out with his muse that he meets in the first track and having him introduce her to what happens in this world because she is supposedly a fallen angel. You probably just don't like the concept but there is a story there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
"On Sight," "Black Skinhead," "New Slaves," "Blood On the Leaves" (only for the beat, Kanye was so beyond shitty and abusive to a great sample on it), and "Bound 2," which is probably the best on the album besides "New Slaves," mainly because Kanye actually does Kanye well, which is not deep or very experimental. I think I liked the beat on "Send it Up" too but I never feel a real reason to listen to it.
I feel like all of the second half is Kanye staying in his lane and doing tracks that he shines in but "Bound 2" is the cherry on top and a great way to end the album.

The best part to me of "Send it Up" is the last 30 seconds of the song that he took from a dancehall track. It makes me nostalgic hearing it.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #296 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

And what happens in this world? Everything that happens in every other Kanye West song? Woman problems/black dude problems/ego problems? That's like believing Sgt. Peppers is a concept album for the first three tracks, and even John Lennon said it wasn't one. It was a front.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #297 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default He's god

As he sings.... Made a great record again
mesh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #298 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,284
Default

Blood on the Leaves, to me, was operatic in its arrangement. Its using a lot more abient (loose definition) sounds, but I think it achieves the same end. Those aren't noises, those are characters/emotions in the narrative.

It was brilliant. I'm still getting a full opinion on the album, honestly, but its a fantastic album.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
bro this all sucks
TheBig3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #299 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

I'm sorry, how does "strange fruit" fit with the narrative of popping ecstasy?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #300 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
I'm sorry, how does "strange fruit" fit with the narrative of popping ecstasy?
Pfff, how doesn't it fit?

No, in all seriousness its a great question. I'm happy to give you my opinion when I'm not running out the door. Also, had no idea you were Surell. You don't have a Jesus Raptor avatar - how could you be?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
bro this all sucks
TheBig3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.