Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #121 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I don't really see it that way. If you're still just talking about the lyrics previously discussed, then I took them to suggest how easily misunderstood the concept of homosexuality is by the general populace (as evidenced by a child thinking they were gay because they liked to draw).

Furthermore, I think it was to highlight that its still looked down upon by the general population and that what it means to be a "***got" - in the minds of the low-minded - is both derogatory, effeminate, and severely misunderstood.

I assume this because in the following lines he's talking about how its used in Youtube comments when its probably not relevant to the discussion in the first place.
F*ggot is a slur though, and he shouldn't be using it especially, it's highly offensive and either way, it's silly to demean the queer community to just gay men, how about the L,B & T?
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #122 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

The lyrics are:

Quote:
If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other ***gots behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it

This is the only occurrence of the word in the song. He's talking about things that happen, he isn't using the word toward anyone. Are you saying that even in a discussion about the word he's not allowed to use it?

That's absurd.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #123 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

So it's absurd? That's your opinion, as a straight male, dude.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #124 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
So it's absurd? That's your opinion, as a straight male, dude.
Now I'm not even allowed to have an opinion? Is this Iran? We can't have a purely intellectual discussion? You're so far out of line its not even describable. This is estrangement from reality beyond words.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #125 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Now I'm not even allowed to have an opinion? Is this Iran? We can't have a purely intellectual discussion? You're so far out of line its not even describable. This is estrangement from reality beyond words.
Again with the hyperbole, when did I say you couldn't have an opinion? I'm merely saying that you don't exactly have the same experience as I do, so you can have your ****ty opinion but you know about as much as Macklemore does about being a queer person. Your opinion isn't free from criticism either, dude. To me, he's a boring ass white rapper who isn't doing anything out of the ordinary and is actually offensive. How can you even think that you can tell ME, a queer person what is offensive in regards to a homophobic slur? Are you serious? How entitled can you be?

That would be like telling someone of colour that they can't be offended by the n word or some such because YOU don't think it's offensive.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #126 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
Again with the hyperbole, when did I say you couldn't have an opinion? I'm merely saying that you don't exactly have the same experience as I do, so you can have your ****ty opinion but you know about as much as Macklemore does about being a queer person. Your opinion isn't free from criticism either, dude. To me, he's a boring ass white rapper who isn't doing anything out of the ordinary and is actually offensive. How can you even think that you can tell ME, a queer person what is offensive in regards to a homophobic slur? Are you serious? How entitled can you be?

That would be like telling someone of colour that they can't be offended by the n word or some such because YOU don't think it's offensive.
I'll tell you whatever I damn well please. Its a forum for discussion. If you don't like my opinion, that's your problem. I haven't violated the rules, and I'm well within the confines of a discussion about music - not your sexuality. And using your poor logic, you couldn't tell me anything having never been a straight male, so lets not pretend you know where I'm coming from.

Your argument against me, and subsequently against macklemore, is that neither of us should be able to say anything about the topic at hand because neither of us self-identify as queer. Which is absurd since the real catalyst behind this video is that people misuse the word all the time - presumably straight people misuse the word all the time - since by your own admission queer folk are allowed to reclaim it.

If thats the case, then a queer person would be the worst person to discuss word useage with straight people, since they aren't striaght and couldn't begin to understand what misusing the word felt like.

Both arguments - the one I just mentioned and the one you're actually using and defending - are ridiculous. Why gender factors into a discussion about words and their use is absurd. Were I to honestly tell you that you couldn't discuss something because you were queer, or a woman, you'd rightfully lose your cool with me. And you should. Because nothing about those factors comes into play in the discussion. You're taking a closed-minded, arrogant, and elitist position just so you can get on a soap box and it makes you look foolish and it does nothing to further the discussion.

Are you saying people don't use the word "***got" in the Youtube comments section?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #127 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Good ol' Minnesota
Posts: 101
Default

I'm tryna follow this backnforth, but I'm a little stuck. Hermione, what do you think should've been done differently about the song?
Zebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #128 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'll tell you whatever I damn well please. Its a forum for discussion. If you don't like my opinion, that's your problem. I haven't violated the rules, and I'm well within the confines of a discussion about music - not your sexuality. And using your poor logic, you couldn't tell me anything having never been a straight male, so lets not pretend you know where I'm coming from.
That's right. It would be like me saying, you can't talk about offensive slurs about my pale skin because you don't have pale skin. Everyone is allowed an opinion, queer, straight or whatever.

I personally don't think Macklemore has done anything wrong or "offensive". Is the No H8 campaign is a problem because it features many straight celebrities?
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #129 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
That's right. It would be like me saying, you can't talk about offensive slurs about my pale skin because you don't have pale skin. Everyone is allowed an opinion, queer, straight or whatever.

I personally don't think Macklemore has done anything wrong or "offensive". Is the No H8 campaign is a problem because it features many straight celebrities?
Yes actually it is for some reason.

Straight allies tend to get a lot of hate, same thing with male feminists and another group but can't remember their name at the moment.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #130 (permalink)
Blunt After Blunt After
 
Circe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a French-ass restaurant
Posts: 337
Default

I'd just like to point out that Mary Lambert (the featured singer on Same Love) is a lesbian. So even if that bizarro "you have to be one of us to support us" logic stood then she quite clearly didn't have an issue with the song's content and chose to stand by it.
Circe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.