Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Best band: 90s Seattle Era
Nirvana 47 31.13%
Alice In Chains 40 26.49%
Soundgarden 15 9.93%
Pearl Jam 18 11.92%
Stone Temple Pilots 6 3.97%
Mudhoney 6 3.97%
Other 17 11.26%
Tad 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #741 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I don't find the genre boring at all, but I find AIC boring. But you're in good company on here, as most people think the band are the best thing since sliced bread.
Obviously that's not true. They get a reasonable amount of dislike. I prefer them to all the artists mentioned in the poll though.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #742 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Obviously that's not true. They get a reasonable amount of dislike. I prefer them to all the artists mentioned in the poll though.
What's obviously not true?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #743 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

I did quote your post.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #744 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Halen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Danny Boy View Post
I think this is the most wrong thing i've ever read. First we'll have to forget the irony of a Pearl Jam fan calling another band 'corporate rock' and an 'MTV band', after which we must escape the massive hypocrisy of knocking Nirvana for their mainstream success whilst citing album sales as a reason for Pearl Jam being superior.

The idea of Pearl Jam being anything other than a corporate rock/ stadium band is laughable. The reason why Green River disbanded was because Ament and Gossard wanted the band to go mainstream which conflicted with Arm and Turner who wanted the band to stick to their underground roots. And well done to them they wanted to create a big mainstream stadium rock band and they did it with Pearl Jam. But both sounds of both mother love bone and pearl jam was designed to cater to the largest audience at the time and it shows.

Nirvana on the other hand never aimed to be a big band, the state of which fame effected Cobain's mental health is evidence of a band who couldn't handle the effects of a popularity which they never asked for. Nevermind was not catered for a large audience, it was initially only projected to sell 50,000 copies on the back of Sonic Youth's Goo selling 100,000. The fact that it became so popular that it knocked Michael Jackson's Bad off the top off the charts was insane something of which will never happen again. In Utero was Nirvana's way of trying to rebel against the success of Nevermind, deliberately trying to shed its mainstream appeal.
Pearl Jam refused to do music videos for a long time and boycotted Ticketmaster. Eddie and co. had a colossal set of balls, and that's rock and roll to me.

As I said before, Nirvana was just another MTV band. Remember when the MTV executives didn't allow them to perform Rape Me at the VMA? Cowards..
__________________
LAST.FM
Halen is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #745 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
Pearl Jam refused to do music videos for a long time and boycotted Ticketmaster. Eddie and co. had a colossal set of balls, and that's rock and roll to me.

As I said before, Nirvana was just another MTV band. Remember when the MTV executives didn't allow them to perform Rape Me at the VMA? Cowards..
This is completely ridiculous. When Nirvana released Bleach in 1989 do you think they were just another MTV-friendly band? I think not. If you wanted to be an MTV-friendly band in 1991 would you have a sound like Nirvana? I think not, you would have tried to sound like INXS or Extreme. Nirvana's success was a rare occurrance and certainly not what they were aiming for. You haven't given any clear evidence of Nirvana being just another MTV band other than from the perspective of a Pearl Jam fanboy bashing Nirvana for the sake of bashing Nirvana.

Pearl Jam on the other hand had a more commercial rock sound in the early-90's than Nirvana. Taking Ten and Nevermind into consideration it's obvious that Ten is the more commercial-sounding album. Even though Ten was originally released before Nevermind it was re-released the following year for no other reason than to gain sales on the back of the rise of alternative rock to the mainstream. Seems like a very commercial thing to do.

This is coming from a person who grew up listening to both bands. But if I was to choose now I'd choose Nirvana over Pearl Jam any day.
__________________
Zer0 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #746 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 45,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
Pearl Jam refused to do music videos for a long time and boycotted Ticketmaster. Eddie and co. had a colossal set of balls, and that's rock and roll to me.

As I said before, Nirvana was just another MTV band. Remember when the MTV executives didn't allow them to perform Rape Me at the VMA? Cowards..
I think it's rather arbitrary to use MTV as the only yardstick of being "commercial" or "selling out". Pearl Jam had about a million songs on the radio, which you don't do without being "commercial". I'm sure you know that, which is why you used "MTV" as an insult rather than something more broad that might have included your boys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now  
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #747 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Best in terms of what?
From what I've seen/heard -

Live - Pearl Jam - 2009 - Australia
Studio - STP - Core
Writing - AIC - Dirt
Originality - Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Mind blowing - Nirvana...
chefmeister is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #748 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
katsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
Default

Nirvana is my knee jerk reaction, but I voted for Soundgarden. No other reason than I like Chris Cornell the most out of all the front men.
katsy is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #749 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
Pearl Jam refused to do music videos for a long time and boycotted Ticketmaster. Eddie and co. had a colossal set of balls, and that's rock and roll to me.

As I said before, Nirvana was just another MTV band. Remember when the MTV executives didn't allow them to perform Rape Me at the VMA? Cowards..
Seems like a fanboy vs. fanboy scenario. Usually the case with those two bands. Cult like following and all.

But honestly, who cares? Such trivial reasons to pick on a band.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline  
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #750 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
crazyaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 84
Default

I vote Alice In Chains :p mainly because of Dirt
I think Nirvana are overrated
__________________
I love beautiful things :3
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...nn-d31ntv3.jpg
crazyaga is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.