Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #101 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,077
Default

Touche'

Your day is now complete.
__________________
The sun can warm the coolest dawn
And move the movement on the lawn



9/3/2021
1,000 days sober
tick tock tick tock
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #102 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,089
Default

Quote:
And yet, for some reason, it's still kind of gratifying, as a man, to be in a position where you can put on a bit of machismo and blokey swagger. Why?

The answer is, society isn't quite as equal as we think it is. There's a lot of attitudes people just internalise and never question. Being able to "Man-mode" something and draw on that machismo is reassuring because society will turn around and say "That's how a man should be, good job".
At the very least, not entirely. Men are hardwired toward "machismo" because we evolved that way. It's not just a social construct. There's a very visceral, unconscious, primitive charge many men get from engaging in physical, even violent behavior, and I think that's more to do with how evolution has hard-wired our brains than society.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #103 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
At the very least, not entirely. Men are hardwired toward "machismo" because we evolved that way. It's not just a social construct. There's a very visceral, unconscious, primitive charge many men get from engaging in physical, even violent behavior, and I think that's more to do with how evolution has hard-wired our brains than society.
I disagree, but it's a very minor point that's impossible to prove. There are literally millions of years of patriarchal society as the only evidence available to study, and there was no "Control group" matriarchal society about which we know anything significant, to compare to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #104 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I disagree, but it's a very minor point that's impossible to prove. There are literally millions of years of patriarchal society as the only evidence available to study, and there was no "Control group" matriarchal society about which we know anything significant, to compare to.
And I'm too lazy to look up any studies about evolutionary psychology. I just think it's ridiculous to assume that our psychology is determined entirely by society when our brains are physical, and have been shaped by billions of years of evolution the same as all of our other body parts. Unless you think that gender psychology is somehow special, and only determined by society, as opposed to all other aspects of human psychology.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #105 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Look at black culture. When people talk about black-on-black violence in gang culture in the USA, the call goes out to "Leading Black Figures" to decry the actions. Look at religious violence. It's never good enough that muslims, jewish people, sikhs, etc, decry and speak out against acts of violence comitted by extremists under the guise of religious fervor - there's always a media presence asking the larger denominations of those groups to speak out against it and do something.

The unspoken rule in those situations is "Black people, this is your problem, fix it" or "Muslims, this is your doing, stop them".

Contrast the KKK - they're the western white christian equivalent to organisations like ISIS or Al Qaeda - They exist to promote a highly problematic, violent agenda against groups they don't like. Substitute "The west" or "America" with "Black people and gays" and you pretty much get the idea of how similar their views are to those of ISIS etc.

When the KKK do something, they're shunned - for being the KKK. There are no calls for "White community figures" to speak out about the growing problem of "white gang culture".

And that's entirely the issue. That's white priveledge. Having an advantage or lack of concern that's so completely entrenched in the way society works that it actually takes a bit of thinking in order to EVEN REALISE IT MIGHT BE WRONG.
The reason you won't see too many white people saying "black on black crime is a serious issue that we need to solve" is because they fear that they will be called a racist. Because, as you know, it's *insert following tumblerisms* holding them down and also white policemen kill black people sometimes. And when I see black people saying "black on black crime is a problem" they are accused of being an 'oreo', 'porch monkey' etc.

And we all know white people are told they can't even speak on some issues, so why on earth would you expect a white person to come out and point out how ridiculous the black crime rate is? I mean, just today on a video I saw a white teacher being "schooled" on racism by one of his pupils, despite her literally using a made up definition of the word racism.

Also, the KKK. You brought up the KKK... and used it as an equivalence to ISIS and Al-Queida? In 2015/16 Yeah, seems like a fair comparison.

You're too intelligent for this stuff GB, far too intelligent.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #106 (permalink)
Rude gentleman
 
Blue Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post

Metal is ****ing full of things like this. That's why people like Rob Halford were so worried about coming out as gay, long after most other professions made that acceptable (If, still discriminated against in secret)
Never heard about discrimination of black guys in metal.
Blue Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #107 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,078
Default

...the KKK are a perfectly fine comparison to Isis.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #108 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

The word equivalence was the issue, obviously white supremacists high on the terrible people scale. But can anyone even remember the last time the KKK did anything?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #109 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,078
Default

Whether or not they're currently relevant doesn't invalidate what they stand for and their history in terms GB's posts.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #110 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

Who said it didn't? I was simply laughing at the poor example of a "white person" equivalence of ISIS in the modern day.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.