Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #281 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I respect people with very niche tastes over someone with broad tastes

even though the latter seems to be held up as the test more often

feel like tastes should become refined not just in music but across most things
Nah, people with ultra-niche tastes commonly hold those because they're unwilling to explore outside of that niche. After a certain point, they're basically the same as people who only listen to the radio to me.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #282 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
anything specific like a taste for avant garde
Are you being ironic?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #283 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Are you being ironic?
Yeah, yeah... I know avant-garde is more of an umbrella term. You know what I meant.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #284 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,185
Default

You meant dissonance I think.

Avant-garde as a term is about as specific as "has drums".
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #285 (permalink)
Boneshaker Baby
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 2 much blood in my alcohol stream
Posts: 12,428
Default

I need a feel for what someone doesn't like to respect them as any kind of critic

assuming there are even enough hours in a day to become a real expert without having specialized, they're still not convincing as curators
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"Life sucks. It’s a miserable hell being a living organism"

https://spiderchildrecords.bandcamp.com/
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #286 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I need a feel for what someone doesn't like to respect them as any kind of critic

assuming there are even enough hours in a day to become a real expert without having specialized, they're still not convincing as curators
And you're saying this because you actually feel that way and not because you have ultra niche taste right
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #287 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 17,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Nah, people with ultra-niche tastes commonly hold those because they're unwilling to explore outside of that niche. After a certain point, they're basically the same as people who only listen to the radio to me.
I wouldn't go that far because some genres are so broad. I get your point though. But some jazz and metal aficionados really blow my mind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I'm not paying my psych ward bill and they can suck my dick from the back. The people in charge of the medical industry deserve to be dragged into the streets to have their throats cut like the greedy pigs they are.
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #288 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 17,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You meant dissonance I think.

Avant-garde as a term is about as specific as "has drums".
I brought the term into the discussion and yeah I meant it as a synonym for dissonant and atonal music.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I'm not paying my psych ward bill and they can suck my dick from the back. The people in charge of the medical industry deserve to be dragged into the streets to have their throats cut like the greedy pigs they are.
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #289 (permalink)
Boneshaker Baby
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 2 much blood in my alcohol stream
Posts: 12,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
And you're saying this because you actually feel that way and not because you have ultra niche taste right
idk if I even qualify

I think I got the bases covered in punk, but I don't think highly enough of myself to say ultra niche
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"Life sucks. It’s a miserable hell being a living organism"

https://spiderchildrecords.bandcamp.com/
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #290 (permalink)
Boneshaker Baby
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 2 much blood in my alcohol stream
Posts: 12,428
Default

like what I'll say is someone rec'ing me some post punk album I've never heard is a lot more impressive than "I like the contortions and *insert comparably obscure power metal album*"
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"Life sucks. It’s a miserable hell being a living organism"

https://spiderchildrecords.bandcamp.com/
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.