The Sex Pistols - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk
Register Blogging Today's Posts
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:32 AM   #331 (permalink)
doo doo water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleather View Post
Peter Hook & Bernard Sumner credited seeing the Sex Pistols for inspiring them to form Warsaw.
Subsequently they renamed the band Joy Division.
Of course after Ian's suicide they became New Order. You were correct first time :-)
Holy **** what!!! I had no idea it was the same guys for joy division and new order!!! That just blew my mind. To be fair I havent gotten too deep into Joy divison yet, only new order. That is insane though, they are so talented that they just decided, hey lets make a new band actually and make it also really good.
Tubeileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:35 AM   #332 (permalink)
doo doo water

also, finally gave the sex pistols a listen, not bad, but nothing that knocked me out of the park. Could also just be because I dont like punk as much. I mean my favorite clash album is also london calling, which is when they started to experiment outside of punk more. Read up on Never mind the bollocks, seems to have been a pretty influential album. Especially more now since I found out they inspired the dudes behind joy division and then ultimately new order .
Old 10-26-2021, 03:56 AM   #333 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeileh View Post
Holy **** what!!! I had no idea it was the same guys for joy division and new order!!! That just blew my mind. To be fair I havent gotten too deep into Joy divison yet, only new order. That is insane though, they are so talented that they just decided, hey lets make a new band actually and make it also really good.
Well their singer kinda killed himself.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #334 (permalink)
doo doo water

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well their singer kinda killed himself.
yeah i read about that, genius comes with insanity and depression, as we have seen many times before... very sad
Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #335 (permalink)
doo doo water

nevermind, i cahnged my opinion. Never mind the bollocks is great lol.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:57 PM   #336 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!

You mean Steve Jones? Sid Vicious replaced Glen Matlock.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:33 AM   #337 (permalink)
From beyooond the graaave

Kinda crazy this band is still so divisive.

No they're not the pioneers of punk or the saviors of rock & roll they have been made out to be by the rock press, yes they were an overhyped boy band created to market a clothing line, yes there are way better punk bands from that era, yes Public Image LTD is the vastly superior Lydon project, but dammit Never Mind the Bollocks is still a pretty solid rock album for what it is, every single is a certified classic.

Why does it have to always be about street cred when it comes to punk rock and not the music on it's own terms? I mean I get why authenticity is important in a genre like this, but it still seems ridiculous to me that everyone either overrates or underrates this band based on reasons that don't really have anything to do with their actual music.

And yes John Lydon is a parody of himself at this point, you don't have to remind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 01-31-2022 at 04:15 AM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:07 AM   #338 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!

He was always a parody of himself but nobody was ever so much a parody of who the **** knows than John Lydon.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:51 PM   #339 (permalink)

McLaren was a character alright, I assume you've listened to his album Duck Rock? It's a really fun listen, though I question how much input McLaren really had in it, I believe Trevor Horn and the various guest musicians did most of the musical heavy lifting for that record.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2022, 08:36 PM   #340 (permalink)

I need to check out Malcolm's other stuff, I mean he did make an album with Bootsy Collins.

Quote: