The "Core" Education Thread (lyrics, alternative, dance, hardcore) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk > Hardcore & Emo
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
"Knowledge is annoying"

Default The "Core" Education Thread

Since this place has now been made into a Hardcore/Emo section, I decided it would be a good idea to have a definitions thread for hardcore and it's subgenres. I obtained some of this information from various sites (particularly MX Tabs ) while added some parts myself.

I don't intend this to be some kind of comprehensive defintion, but it's a good starting point to the genre and will give people an idea of where the sound came from what bands to check out. If anyone here has any issues that they would like to address with these defintions, I would be more than happy to discuss them/make any appropriate changes.

Hardcore is punk influenced music that sometimes has a heavier sound and sometime's doesn't. It sometimes have breakdowns and some don't, this depends more on the age of the band. Some are straight edge, some aren't. But most have honest sincere lyrics about issues that they themselves face.

Hardcore is generally to considered to have been brought to life around 1979 by bands such as Black Flag and Bad Brains. These bands played a brand of punk that was considerably faster and in some cases heavier than the afformentioned genre. Over the years the hardcore sound hasn't changed a great deal, apart from the addition of breakdowns by some bands and some bands adopting a heavier style. Hardcore has gone on to spawn many subgenres since it's own creation, most of which are discussed here.

Hardcore bands:
Chain Of Strength, American Nightmare, Death Threat, Judge, Gorilla Biscuits, 7 Seconds, Champion, Count Me Out, Carry On, Bane, Modern Life Is War, Champion, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat.

Metalcore is obviously metal influenced and because they're of this there is more complexity in the writings of guitar, more noted riffs added to it than hardcore has.. Some say that it has punk influences...but that depends on what band you are talking about. Metalcore has a lot of breakdowns, most of which have the "JUN JUN JUN" sound which some double bass. Metalcore was a lot better a couple years ago before more and more band's started learning that you can tune into drop-C, use only thin picks, and get a drummer who knows his double bass.

Metalcore bands:
Hatebreed, 100 Demons, Bury Your Dead, Black My Heart, On Broken Wings, Hoods, Botch, Converge, All Else Failed, Fordirelifesake, Every Time I Die.

Grindcore in its purest form consisted of short, apocalyptic blasts of noise played on standard heavy metal instrumentation (distorted guitar, bass, drums). Although grindcore wasn't just randomly improvised, it certainly didn't follow conventional structure, either; while riffs could sometimes be picked out, pure grindcore never featured verses, choruses, or even melodies. Grindcore vocals sounded torturous, ranging from high-pitched shrieks to low, throat-shredding growls and barks; although the lyrics were usually quite verbose, they were very rarely intelligible. Some bands in this catagory can also be known as Mathcore or Tech Metal, meaning they're more complex in the musical writings and tend to be more organized.

Grindcore bands:
(Early)Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Carcass, The Locust, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, **** and Ball Torture, Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Phobia, Nasum, Black Market Fetus, Akkolyte, Agathocles, Warsore, Audio Kollaps

Emo style has become broader over the years. In the beginning, these bands consisted mostly of people who played in hardcore punk bands, got burned out its limited forms, and moved to a guitar-oriented, midtempo rock-based sound with emotional punk vocals (i.e., no posed soulful crooning like pop music). The central aspect here is the guitars - distorted, strummed mostly in duo unison, with occasional catchy riff highlights. This becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound," along with the octave chords that show up in later "emo" music. Later bands bring in more pop elements, like catchy-riff based songs, pop song structures (listen to Jawbreaker's "Chesterfield King" to illustrate this), and less-punk, more-smoothly-sung high-register singing (less yelling, straining, throatiness). Listen to Elliot or Chamberlain for an example of how alternative-pop this music has become. Yet those bands are undeniably still emocore. Also note most emo bands play Gibson Les Paul guitars, with a few SGs, and use mostly Marshall JCM-800 amps...Emo has recently evolved into something more complex since the D.C. era. Bands have adopted to more obscure lyrics along with intricate riffs and interesting vocals.

Old-School Emo bands:
Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Ignition, Dag Nasty, Monsula, Fugazi kind of, Fuel, Samiam, Friction, Soulside, early Lifetime, Split Lip/Chamberlain, Kerosene 454, Indian Summer, Moss Icon, Antioch Arrow, Heroin, Swing Kids.

Modern Emo/Screamo Bands
Hot Cross, Saetia, A Day in Black and White, You And I, The Kite-Flying Society, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, Portrait, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, The Kodan Armada, Off Minor, Joshua Fit for Battle, Circle Takes the Square, City of Caterpillar, pageninteynine,Usurp Synapse, Clikatat Ikatowi

Post-Hardcore
In the early-to-mid '80s, several bands in the United States came to life that were inspired by the do-it-yourself ethics and the cathartic, guitar-heavy material characterized by the hardcore punk bands that predated them. These newer bands, termed post-hardcore, often found complex and dynamic ways of blowing off steam that generally went outside the strict hardcore realm of "loud fast rules." These bands often used more than three chords and they also creatively built and released tension rather than airing their dirty laundry in short, sharp, frenetic bursts. Additionally, many of these bands' vocalists were just as likely to deliver their lyrics with a whispered croon as they were a maniacal yelp. Along with Husker Du, Naked Raygun was one of the first U.S. post-punk bands of the early '80s that merged melodic influences with punk/hardcore. These were the first two bands (Husker and Naked Raygun) in 1981. With other bands in the Chicago scene such as the Effigies, Breaking Circus and Man Sized Action followed by later bands such as Fugazi, Quicksand, Dag Nasty and Mission Of Burma. Another important influence on many of these bands was U.K. post-punk from the late '70s and early '80s; Gang of Four, Public Image Limited, Joy Division, and Wire played a significant role in many of the bands' musical growth.

Again, if you feel I've ommited any important bands/information please tell me and I'll edit this as appropriate.
Electric Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Music Addict

Good thread. Very good, you should sticky it to the top.

I've never really understood post hardcore. Still don't.
daytonasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
"Knowledge is annoying"

Download some Minor Threat, Black Flag etc. then download some Fugazi, Husker Du, Quicksand etc. You should be able to see how the one style incorporates the other but that there is still noticeable differences. The newer post-hardcore bands have adapted the formula quite alot since the original ones though.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
accidental genius

Thank you for making this thread.
Honestly.
This is one of the best I've seen in a while.
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
"Knowledge is annoying"

I'd say that the DEP are Tech Metal with Grindcore influences, especially on Calculating Infinity.

And yeah, I know the hardcore band list isn't very long but if people make some suggestions I'll add to it.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not Impressed

O boy, I cant wait for this stuff to be copied and pasted all over the placce. Im sure we will be seeing a new thread for like every band on there, sigh... Yea DEP isnt grind.

DEATH TO FALSE DUDES!
All_Nite_Dinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not Impressed

Put these bands in your grind list and people will think your cool

Phobia
Nasum
Black Market Fetus
Akkolyte
Agathocles
Warsore
Audio Kollaps

Put Swing Kids and heroin in your emo list

AT LEAST take Terror and Blood for blood off the hardcore list

DEATH TO FALSE DUDES!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
snickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Nite_Dinah
Phobia
Yessssssssssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Nite_Dinah
Put Swing Kids and heroin in your emo list
Well then add Clikatat Ikatowi!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie

what is simple plan and good charlotte under?
vairocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not Impressed

none of the above, go to the pop board

DEATH TO FALSE DUDES!