Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Art Rock Week! Art, or arty: that is the question
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
Surely the Residents and Zappa were early art rock, but what about maybe Ziggy Stardust stuff?
Bowie's already been mentioned, and I feel it'd be a tad redundant because, and rightfully so, he is the name most associated with the genre.

To me, though, anything that's based off of art is sort of art rock, or at least anything abstracted to the point to where it stands as inspiration for a mood/feeling/thought, rather than directly translating to meaning. Freakout was said to be an attempt to create music in the nature of surrealistic painting(apparently as stated in liner notes), and Residents have vehemently stated that their main intention is to be an art group first, and a rock group second.

Here are some other good examples, though:

Velvet Underground:

Captain Beefheart:

John Oswald:

Phillip Glass:

AMM:

Bruce Haack:

Just for favorites of mine I'd consider artistic. I mean, it's really a broad category. One could argue that even things like Boredoms, and Ween have some roots in artistic expression. Just felt that I'd include things that I know that I would particularly consider as artistic.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote