Music Banter - View Single Post - Keiji Haino - Watashi Dake? (1981) [SAA Album Club discussion thread]
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

I guess I'm going to be the one to go against the grain here because I wasn't particularly blown away by this album. On first listen I felt that what I was hearing was simply directionless fucking around on a guitar, reminiscent of the kind of silly crap I've done when off my nut in the wee hours of the morning. You know, the kind of stuff that only sounds good while you're doing it. And at first listen the vocals fluctuated between annoyingly humorous and simply annoying to me.

My reaction on second listen was definitely more favorable. I do actually like quite a bit of the guitar on this album and often found it kind of hypnotic. It makes me think of a very minimal version of Sun Ra's Strange Strings in a weird way. Still not a fan of the vocals though, even though I found them somewhat more tolerable the second time around. I think the album would actually be substantially better if it was just guitar or maybe guitar and something else that's not vocals.

One thing I really don't get is that several people in this thread have praised the album for being highly emotional. I just don't see it. As I mentioned above, there's a decent amount here that I find kind of hypnotic but I don't get any particularly strong emotions from it.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote