Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 5 Of Anything (Musically)
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #1559 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgos View Post
Interesting list. Personally Absolutely Free is my least favorite of the albums on your list. I don't feel like I ever really got into it or connected with it the way I did with a lot of Zappa's stuff. It probably deserves a couple more listens from me.
I don't know. There's a certain fluid drama to Absolutely Free that makes it work. It's obviously the one where Zappa took his constantly touted Varese/Stravinsky influences most at heart. It's only weak point in my eyes is the rather shabby song "Big Leg Emma".

But, I really like "Plastic People", "Uncle Bernie's Farm", and "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", and the fact that essentially the first 5 songs after Plastic People were Zappa is howling about prunes keeping you regular is essentially subtly a classical piece written in rock instruments.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote