Music Banter - View Single Post - Being a musician without record company?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPeeks View Post
Thanks! These information is really helpful.

Looks like both artists currently have a deal with indie label (or not indie?). Maybe there are lots of musicians who gets famous by the internet, but less people remain "unsigned".

And, wiki said Ingrid Michaelson actually had a manager, her mom. That would be a good way to start a career. (i only got Japanese friends cos im a Japanese, they can be a manager but it would be very difficult. Maybe i have to get out of this country now.)
Julia Nunes is actually still unsigned; her "label" is something that's just her, her mom, and her dad. They just decided to give it a name.

But yes, it's really difficult to get your name out there.

The best you can really do would be to try to get local shows, and get people interested in your music. You could sell burnt copies of your material at your shows for about $5, just to make a tiny bit of money on the deal, so that you could order copies of more professional printed CDs.

And I'm not too sure how it works in other countries, but you could always put together a press kit and try to get some local stations to play your songs, to get the word out in your area and get people to come out to shows when you have gigs.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote