Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #474 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
and then to further your education of my beloved Current 93

Current 93 - Imperium

this amazing album released in 1987 sparked the beginning of a new era for Current 93....and is still i think considered one of their greatest achievements...before this album their albums concentrated on tape delays and loops, noise, and bellowing chants of suffering....creating wonderful ritualistic albums....with Imperium David Tibet concentrates on two things....minimalism and repetition....while first doing what would become the staple of all Current 93 albums.....his lyrical prowess

Current 93 - Earth Covers Earth

out of all the album released by this band....Earth Covers Earth speaks to me the most.....every lyric on this album is an example of beautiful poetry....actually my favorite track (and possibly my favorite track by the band itself) "Hourglass For Diana' is a poem by seventeenth century poet John Hall and has such a musically building property of both guitar and violin that by the end of the song you have a true sense of empowerment as David bellows to you "How Art Thou Nothing When Thou Art Most Of All!"....its a feeling i still get every time i listen to this song

for the most part this album is what Current 93 becomes....with concentration of traditional folk music and lyrics concentrating on the forthcoming alpha/omega.....this is my favorite time for them....the group itself was comprised of so many great people....funny enough in the liner notes it credits Boyd Rice for scary voices and evil smiles
Both good choices! Here's a trivial bit for you: Imperium was actually, according to a book of Indie Hits in The 80's, C93's only album to go into the Top 30 Indie Albums in August, 1987 - For a week, but it was in there. I think it was planned to be part of a 2 album concept wth Nurse With Wound recording the other album, but there was so much to do possibly, and that concept went to Thunder Perfect Mind instead. The construction of the album is good: On one side the epic title track's dreamy/nightmarish sounds (Owning the vinyl, some samples in it play at 45 RPM while some others possibly are played at 78) and the other side's Folk edge.

Earth Covers Earth is my favorite of the two.

Last edited by Screen13; 02-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote