Music Banter - View Single Post - Born in the wrong generation
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #201 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
It's often forgotten that Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, CSNY, Beatles, Al Stewart, Joe Jackson, Steely dan, Bob Dylan, the Band, Supertramp, Pink Floyd... all those bands were once mainstream. And almost no one will now criticize them for being 'mainstream'.
The Beatles are still mainstream, and Pink Floyd didn't even get all that recognized until Dark Side of the Moon was released and played a lot on the radio. Also, Hendrix was never mainstream, but he was never underground either. If you look at his record sales then you'll see that he stayed somewhere in the middle. But your statement is definitely right.

Do I think I was born in the wrong generation? No. I don't think there's a right or wrong one in my view. I think I would be just as annoyed with the hippie culture as I am with this culture. Not to mention we have so much more music now. We can listen to both old AND new. Not to mention MP3 players and the internet are very helpful in maintaining a broad and knowledgeable taste in music. I wouldn't know about the majority of the bands I do now without the internet.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote