Music Banter - View Single Post - The Mars Volta
Thread: The Mars Volta
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #688 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
I've always been enthralled with Mars Volta. Firstly, they're an incredible band. Secondly, they somehow have accumulated a massive fanbase for their style.

They are one of those bands like Tool that seem to do everything wrong to acquire a casual rocker audience, but acquire a fairly decent one. Mars Volta are not a household name, but definitely not stuck in the underground.

To this day, I'm confused what exactly they have done beyond other experimental progressive bands that has brought them to this point of recognition. They are in no way even close to being the first, and as good as they are, they are certainly not the best. They're weird as all hell, but generally accepted by an audience that fears weirdness.

Maybe it's the guitar work, I don't know, all I know is that I appreciate a band like Mars Volta infinitely for exposing such experimental rock to a mainstream audience.
I think it helped that the main creative force of the Mars Volta were in a fairly popular hardcore band before starting it up.

Despite begin very progressive, they still have a very hard rock approach to things. Not to mention they have kind of a mystique around them. Especially around the Bedlam in Goliath...they supposedly had a bunch of stuff with a Ouija board go down.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared if every album after Deloused was total crap. Just for that album, they go down as one of the most epic bands ever in my book.