Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip Hop Poll: Round 2, Poll D
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
I'm sure that most of the members of The Roots are multi-instrumentalists too, shiiite, I'm a multi-instrumentalist myself. The point is, The Roots are masters of their instruments. Sure Madlib did one album where he played live equipment, but i am sure that he is nowhere near as proficient as the roots are (who have put out like 30 albums). I see Madlib mainly as a producer. There is a certain point where you can no longer say that someones production is bad or good, just whether you enjoy it or not. The same is not true for instrumental musicians. Remember, i am talking about technical ability only. Madlib is more CREATIVE. When he makes a beat, he is patching samples together to form a collage of sound. This takes considerably less TECHNICAL SKILL.
First things first, The Roots have released ten albums, not thirty. Madlib is the one who has released a ton of albums, many more than The Roots have. And he didn't do "one album where he played live equipment", he plays live instruments quite a bit. So what makes you so sure he's less proficient than The Roots? It certainly doesn't sound that way when you listen to his music. Lastly, what makes you think building entire songs out samples takes less technical skill than playing a single instrument in a band?