Music Banter - View Single Post - Does a Band's Popularity Affect Your Taste?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Bullet
Music Addict

Now? I'm more open minded than to hate an artist just because they're famous. When I first started listening to music? My God.

I use to not want to listen to artists who didn't write their own music, or who autotuned their lyrics because of them not genuinely expressing themselves (and, in the autotune case, their voices), so I taught myself to hate them. For example, I literally use to want to kill Rhianna because i saw her as manufactured and taught myself to hate her music.

Now, I admit to her being "eh" for the most part with a few good songs. I'm still not a fan, but I definitely wouldn't kill her. Don't get me wrong, I DO hate it when an artist puts songs on an album that were almost scientific attempts at reaching a certain demographic, with no personal connection whatsoever, that the artist his/herself probably hates, weather that was written by them or someone else. If the artist is genuinely trying to champion someone else's composition that they found meaning in, then I have nothing against an artist using a songwriter. For example, up until Bad, Michael Jackson usually used songwriters, but his music was still high-end, cream-of-the-crop pop because he truely wanted to impress himself as well as others, and rejected a lot of the stuff that was written to him. And when he did sing someone else's composition, he made sure he could relate so he could put emotion into it. In contrast, someone like Britney Spears'll never sing about anything that relates to them. She'll sing love songs and whatever else the record company sees fit. And she literally has marketing experts behind most of the tracks, and probably doesn't care about them herself. Granted, I'm glad she was able to overcome her personal problems and borderline insanity, and I respect her for that, but I still can't listen to music that screams out "impersonal." It's not as black-and-white as my 11-year-old self thought it was.

Short form: the answer is "use to. Now, I don't care."
The Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote