Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #2739 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Modern women wax the margins if they like wearing briefs. What's yer philosophy on toenails?
Those be fightin' words around these parts, Mister!

Or at least around *my* parts!

I can't understand why some people would actually *want* to rip their own hair out with hot wax unless they are *trying* to torture themselves. I suppose you could argue that they imagine future pleasure might compensate for the present pain? I would think they'd prefer to have pleasure *without* the pain.

Also, have you considered that maybe some women don't like to wear briefs? What then? No margins to wax!!!

I'm not a modern woman, I guess, skaltezon. I'm more of a postmodern woman. Postmodern women are not fixed by any cultural rules at all and can pick and choose among them, or make them up as they see fit, and they certainly don't succumb to simplistic conceptions of gender and beauty:

Quote:
Postmodern philosophy is skeptical or nihilistic toward many of the values and assumptions of philosophy that derive from modernity, such as humanity having an essence which distinguishes humans from animals.

Postmodern philosophy is often particularly skeptical about simple binary oppositions characteristic of structuralism, emphasizing the problem of the philosopher cleanly distinguishing knowledge from ignorance, social progress from reversion, dominance from submission, and presence from absence.

[For example] the writings of Lyotard were largely concerned with the role of narrative in human culture, and particularly how that role has changed as we have left modernity and entered a "postindustrial" or postmodern condition. He argued that modern philosophies legitimized their truth-claims not (as they themselves claimed) on logical or empirical grounds, but rather on the grounds of accepted stories (or "metanarratives") about knowledge and the world. He further argued that in our postmodern condition, these metanarratives no longer work to legitimize truth-claims.

He suggested that in the wake of the collapse of modern metanarratives, people are developing a new [view] -- one that does not make claims to absolute truth but rather celebrates a world of ever-changing relationships (among people and between people and the world).

Postmodern philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Speaking of postmodern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy - Revolting Kocks
^This video is kind of postmodern, I'd say. Life and death blended together on an earth that is both heaven and hell, where society exists without rules except those we make and the natural laws we cannot break, even if we wished we could. Rod Stewart's vision of reality in the "Do ya think I'm sexy" video you posted is much simpler.

My toenail philosophy? My postmodern philosophy on toenails is that clipping them makes sense because toenails (unlike most people's pubic hair) grow continuously and will prevent you from walking with ease unless they wear down naturally while you spring barefoot from boulder to boulder. Either that or you could gnaw them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
"Voices in the Sky" is such a great song. I've honestly always thought Motorhead was pretty underrated in the lyrics department. It's true that most of their songs are about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll (and even those often have pretty good lyrics) but every so often Lemmy's been known to write something with more depth as well. You might like this one too, VEGANGELICA. It's in a very different style for Motorhead but it chokes me up every time I listen to it:

A moving Motorhead song, Janszoon. I teared up listening to it also, especially the part about the young soldier calling for his mother as he dies and the two soldiers clinging to each other like children. Wars are such a waste of people's precious lives!

I am reminded of Monster of Folk's song "His Master's Voice." The first time I listened to this song, my hair stood on end partway through it because of its meaning mixed with the music. I like the way the martial sound of the drums enter. I especially like the repeated, ominous triple thuds of the drums nearer the end representing the violence that people can be convinced to do because they feel they hear their master's voice telling them to kill "sinners."

I also liked the ending when the singer gives his perspective...that the voice he likes best is the one that comes from within himself (my interpretation), not an external one. I wished the young soldier would have listened to the voice of the mother holding the paper cup filled with life and love!

Monsters of Folk - "His Master's Voice"

And now, speaking of mothers' cups filled with life and love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
i'm listening to Jewel sing some song on Jimmy Kimmel Live but I'm really only watching to stare at her preggo boobies.
You should just wait until Jewel is lactating, DJ! Women's breasts usually get really big then. And wet with dripping milk.

Truth.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 02-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote