Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #2740 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Let's keep this simple -- 'modern' means 'current'. The choices of today's men and women aren't restricted to the false dilemma of either ignoring their keratinous outgrowths or removing them entirely. Artistic grooming is possible for those who desire it, and not only by razor. I notice that your own scalp-hair shows quite a bit of attention.

Another false dilemma here seems to be that one must either succumb to simplistic notions of gender and beauty or dictate them oneself. If you choose the latter path, try at least to be less arbitrary in your value judgments.
Exactly: modern ("current") women *aren't* restricted to waxing their bikini lines if they like to wear briefs, unlike what you stated in your post previous to this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Modern women wax the margins if they like wearing briefs.
Modern (and post-modern) women do all sorts of things with their body hair. They can comb, trim, cut, shampoo, wax, etc. People can pick and choose what trends they wish to follow or which they don't. Just like I quoted above about post-modernism: "Postmodern philosophy is often particularly skeptical about simple binary oppositions." So, this means I don't view gender and various body characteristics as a simple dichotomy of "male" and "female."

I don't think I ever created the false dilemma that one must either succumb to simplistic notions of gender and beauty or dictate them oneself. About women waxing body hair, I said I didn't understand why they'd inflict pain on themselves although I imagine some women do it because the pleasure they gain eventually (their feelings about themselves as being attractive, for example) may outweigh the pain for them. Seems masochistic to me especially when one can feel good about oneself without hurting oneself.

Finally, skaltezon, I feel my value judgements about cutting head vs. waxing hair are not at all arbitrary. Cutting my head hair doesn't hurt while pulling out even a single hair is painful; therefore, cutting my scalp hair is very different than ripping out chunks of hair by the roots. Therefore, it makes sense that I'd have different value judgements about cutting vs pulling out hair.

Also, people generally treat women with their leg hair as unattractive or worse, while few people (in the U.S.) are now perturbed when women have short head hair or long head hair or any style in between...thanks to all those brave women who cut their hair short, bucking social norms. So, those two hair areas of the body are treated differently in society and thus it makes sense that my value judgements about the cutting of the hair on head vs. body would be different. So why do you feel I am being arbitrary in my value judgements as I dictate my own notions of gender and beauty?

One - Three Dog Night
[/QUOTE]

A nice song although I feel that one is *not* the loniest number. Worse than "one" is being part of a twosome where one is lonely. Being lonely with someone else is MUCH worse than being alone, I feel.

Here's what I'm listening to now, because my favorite line is "Happy ever after in the market place, Molly lets the children lend a hand. Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face and in the evening she's a singer with the band." Even as I child I recognized and liked the equality in this song! That was what I hoped life would be like when I grew up.

The Beatles - Obla Di Obla Da

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote