Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock/Metal/Prog Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #120 (permalink)
almauro
Way Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
I would like to ask everyone's opinion on the subject concerning the genre, Progressive Rock. I was talking to a friend of mine today, and he insisted that the band Rush, wasn't really a true traditional progressive rock band, like the most popular progressive rock bands were (for example), Genesis, and others. And that instead they should be labeled as, Technical Rock, or Heavy Metal. Instead of being labeled in the Progressive Rock genre. What is your opinion on the subject?
They're one of the first progressive hard rock bands. Look at them the same way Voivod and Coroner are labelled progressive thrash bands, Death and Atheist are progressive death metal bands, and Enslaved is a progressive black metal band. They're bound by their original genre. Rush started out as a loud bar band playing Zepplin riffs, came up with one of the greatest hard rock riffs with "Working Man", first toured with Kiss, even their most acclaimed epic 2112 is half a hard rock album. So technically, the dude excluding them from bands such as the original prog-rockers like Yes and Genesis is correct, he's just got the wrong terminology.

Last edited by almauro; 02-16-2011 at 06:56 PM.
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote