Music Banter - View Single Post - Passport - Cross Collateral (1975)
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thirty-five years after it`s first release, this album still sounds fresh to me, probably because of all the changes of tempo and lead instruments from track to track. Sometimes the tone is of a mellow sax; at other times we hear the crystal-clear notes of the synthesizer, but all the way through the album there is a tight structure and plenty of action, which gives it a cohesive feel.

Of course the 13-minute title track is the stand out, with its rolling momentum that holds the different sections of the piece together. The playing is intense from start to finish on this track and on the next one too, Jadoo.
The tracks that follow,Will-O-The-Wisp and Albatross Song have a great funky sound that remind me of Herbie Hancoc`s Headhunters, which had been released two years before, while the last track, Damals is at a slower pace.

I still love this album, so it gets a "Brilliant" from me. If I were to find fault with anything, it would be with the running order of the album, which bunches the most powerful tracks up together and leaves the simpler last track hanging on like it was just an after-thought.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote