Music Banter - View Single Post - D.O.A.-Something Better Change(1980)(Discussion Thread)
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Okay, so I've listened to this album a bunch of times now. First of all, I need to point out an error in my write-up that accompanied my nomination: It wasn't the Don Letts film that got DOA my attention - it was the film American Hardcore. I always get those two confused. Sorry.

So, I don't like this album nearly as much as I wanted to. I shouldn't be surprised because I have had their next album for a long time and I like it but don't love it.

The comparison to 'classic punk' like Sex Pistols and the Damned is pretty apt but I do see/hear something in D.O.A. that those bands don't have.

Btw, I don't like the Sex Pistols and only like the Damned a little bit.

I have to give the credit to the frontman, Joey Shithead, because he has an energy that kicks the shit out of all other punk singers/ frontmen of the time. He's obviously the real deal with a lot of crazy energy that is rare to see .. ever. His action on the guitar and microphone was simply more hardcore than everybody else back then. Here watch him ..

And he kept that energy up forever as far as I can tell (unlike Lydon who could never match Shithead's honest energy even in his prime).

So, good album, but it's not really my style so I doubt I'll listen to it much in the future.