Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you get a good manager?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

You're not trying hard enough. If you want to get your **** out there you should be doing more than just hosting it on a soundcloud. You should be getting CDs made up professionally, perhaps comissioning artwork even, so you can get professional quality physical product printed up and you can handle distribution privately through paypal or other such services.

Also, if you only have an EP, this probably isn't the smartest idea. The only people who need managers in this day and age fall into one of two camps.

1 - Big artists whose workload if they were trying to organise all the venues and production themselves, would have an impossible task

2 - People who are too lazy to get out there, play, work up a fanbase, put their stuff on iTunes and other such pay-to-download services, make their own website, and generally work their asses off to get to the point they really need a manager.

A manager still won't help the people who fall into group 2, of course. A manager for those people will just leech your money away. If they have enough connections to get you anywhere, they will have made those connections by running with artists who they will probably still have on the books and can still sell to people. Why would they take a chance on promoting you instead of their existing sure thing? They wouldn't. They only keep other artists on for the chance of breakout success, or if their sure thing doesn't pan out too much longer.

They will, of course, still take your money, and convince you they're helping you as much as possible, but the fact is, if you want to get anywhere, especially in the digital, age, you're going to have to do it yourself and not expect any help from anyone. You're going to have to get out there, play shows, get people interested, and get things ready for you to release product, before you have any chance of ever selling that product.

If you can't do that, then sadly, unfortunately, you're either just not good enough to garner peoples interest, in which case you need to work on your craft, or, if you ARE good enough, you're just not working hard enough to make people see that.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, if you only have an EP's worth of material and you're already getting discouraged that nobody has discovered you, what gives? Its possible to write, record, and release a self-financed EP in a matter of a few months, especially if its singer songwriter stuff, by which I assume you mean acoustic guitar and vocals. The fact you have only a small amount of material indicates to me more that you haven't stuck it out long enough to really justify being in any way discouraged regards getting out there. I mean, either you've had an EP's worth of material for a very long time, in which case why aren't you writing more, or you've only been doing this long enough to build up an EP sized collection of songs, in which case why are you expecting to get places this fast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote