Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #916 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
Human's are "meant" to do many things. I would agree that we are suited by natural and evolution to consume meat.

BUT

Something that's special about humans is that we can make choices against our own nature. We would never have gotten as far as we have if we didn't suppress some of our natural urges and behaviours (even if some of that is what has allowed us to become what we are... but every hand of cards can have its aces and its jokers).

I'm nowhere close to being a vegetarian. Even still, I don't question that there's ethical merit to not killing other living animals if possible not to.

I don't care what the chemicals in my brain tell me to do. I will do what I want... but I will still eat meat.
I would say that making choices using ethics is *part* of our human nature.

I agree with you that we can suppress many urges and behaviors when we feel we have a good reason to do so.

For example, I love the taste of cheese...hot, gooey, salty, fatty!! And I liked the taste of hamburgers and even veal when I was a kid, not knowing exactly whom I was eating or how people had treated them. However, avoiding actions that support the killing of "food" animals, who have feelings and experiences that I assume they enjoy, is much more important to me than the momentary pleasure I might get from eating these animals.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote