Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #918 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Ok, let's not go off into crazy comparison land here.
You only consider the comparison crazy because you don't want to think of animals as having equal worth to a human.

Quote:
Abolishing slavery was a good thing.
Yes, because we stopped the suffering of a living, feeling creature and gave them a possibility to experience happiness.

Quote:
People of all races are still people.
And empty milk cartons of all sizes are still empty milk cartons. What's your point? Are you just appealing to my innate sense of human superiority over non-humans?

Quote:
I don't feel nearly as sensitive to animals as I do people.
As slave owners didn't feel nearly as sensitive to black people as they did white people. The fact that you are not as sensitive holds no actual weight. If you really wanted to, you could try to develop more sensitivity to the suffering of animals, you just choose not to.

Quote:
My basic feeling is that animals taste good, are good for the economy, and provide little else to humans other than when they are killed.
I think the key word here is "basic". Has it ever occured to you that perhaps animals might have more worth than just their usefulness to humans?

Quote:
Just like lions attack deer, and larger fish eat smaller fish, I don't mind that we eat animals. And because I know this same argument is gonna come back around, let me say that I PERSONALLY am only really concerned with HUMANS. I don't care what is best for the world. I care what is best for people.
Because, of course, humans are superior to the rest of the world and are not actually part of it.

I'm not asking you to become a vegetarian. I'm just asking you to perhaps challenge your own notions of what is moral conduct in relation to other species.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote