Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #870 (permalink)
ProggyMan
Reformed Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Considering the fact that just about every society has had poetry, regardless of their level of education, I think my statement does have basis. Just off the top of my head, the vikings are famous for creating poetry even though there society was almost entirely illiterate and uneducated. It would seem that Wikipedia even has an opinion on the matter. So, just because the Bible may or may not be poetic (and I honestly don't know or care either way), is meaningless.
Ok, my mistake, the 'ignorant shepherds' were perfectly capable of understanding the concept of a metaphor, which just proves my point anyway.

Quote:
No, they're not. Not only does the Bible contain extra books (obviously), but the Bible was also a translation of the Torah and contains many mistranslations.
People use the word 'bible' all the time to refer to all sorts of things, you know what I meant, this discussion is irrelevant.

Quote:
Really? Nomadic herders were educated? News to me.
The nomadic herders obviously didn't transcribe the texts, Jewish civilization had evolved quite a bit by the time the Tanakh/Torah was written down.
ProggyMan is offline   Reply With Quote